Agnostic.com

42 6

What does it mean when someone says 'I don't want a commitment'?

We have all heard it, maybe some of us have used it.
What does it actually mean?

I want to sleep with many people?
I really don't like you that much?
I am getting burned out on our relationship?
Some other version?

Akfishlady 8 Mar 3

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

42 comments (26 - 42)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

It means they just aren't that in to you. Would you say that to someone you adored? Hell, no.

@Crimson67 To me, commitment means an exclusive relationship. It has nothing to do with living together or getting married. I guess we have different definitions of commitment. 🙂

When I did that it meant I wanted to keep my options open while still assessing my capacity for caring for the guy, but that's me. The unintended effect being you can commit to losing them when you say those words, and if you really hate commitment, that's a form of it also.

If my needs weren't being met in a situation like that I'd vanish. I don't do boomerangs either. I've had the great pleasure of dealing with a couple of those.

It means they're not in a place to have something serious and date exclusively in most cases. I think if that's not something you're interested in, move on.

they want to just fuck you

It means there’s an expiration date

Marz Level 7 Mar 3, 2018

They want 3am bootycalls, maybe take you for a hamburger once in awhile. You may be fine with that, or not, but it's all you're going to get.

I can read minds but I have to be in the physical presence of the person to do it.

They're not all that interested

Have to take a second dip after reading through the posts.

Whatever happened to dating and honesty?

I ask AKfishlady out to eat. We don't know each other very well. At some in time, we start discussing our relationship past.

I'd say, I'll be honest 'Laska Lass. I like you and I'd like to see you again. But I don't expect you to turn down any dates and while I am not seeing anyone else, I can't promise that I won't ask someone else out. Is that ok?

That's a no commitment type of statement, right? I'm not trying to shoot and run, but I want it clear I make no promises about the future.

@Akfishlady After reading your follow up to my other comment, I now realize it is more complicated. It is a shame adults can't be more honest. I'm not saying I always have been, but seems like it would save a lot of trouble.

Can mean a lot of things.

I want to sleep around.
You may not be Ms. Right, but you are Ms. Right Now.
I don't feel worthy.
I haven't recovered from my last relationship.
I am between jobs.
I am moving.

If I were single, it would be the first one, but that's because I've been married for so long and I can't imagine another relationship.

Move on

I am True to myself... and since I remember I tried to break every relationship in the first 7 days. Sex or no Sex.

Ususlly it means they want to keep their options open and see if something or rather someone better comes along...

It means he or she is not that into it.

I have never agreed to females saying that but many lied and tried me out disposably .....it means intimacy is cheap or worth less than toilet paper. ...it means possible children will grow up without intimate parents or will be aborted embryonic goo. ....it means Presidential role models fuck anything w

When I have used it I meant “Heads up! will get tired of this soon and move on.”

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:32061
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.