Agnostic.com

4 1

Advice on time management?

I'm a full-time student and full-time mom and I recently got a part-time job to bring in some money for bills. anyway, I am struggling with finding time to get everything done. does anyone have any advice? I know tons of people are accomplishing school with jobs and kids, so it's possible lol I just don't know how they do it all ? thanks.

theblackdahlia 4 Apr 1

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

4 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Are you a single mom? I would ask your partner or family members to help out sometimes with the kids so that you can get some time in for school work.

I live with my family but they don't get home until late in the evening, which is when i go to work. During the day, my oldest goes to school but my three year old is with me. It is hard but i'm trying my hardest not to give up!

@theblackdahlia I wonder if there are sliding scale or affordable daycares offered in your area. Worth looking into if/when you have time. Maybe not everyday, but some days to give yourself a break so you do not get burnout.

I feel you. I got my undergrad degree while my son was small and I worked part-time. Now he is grown and I’m doing a full-time Masters program while working full time. It’s HARD. It’s hard for EVERYONE.
Something’s got to give.
Learn to speed read (seriously - the trick is to not “say” the words in your head)
Accept that things don’t have to be perfect. It turns out that the bathroom doesn’t need to be cleaned twice a week (one good clean a week is enough), the floors don’t have to be swept every day, and sometimes it’s ok to buy prepared food so you don’t have to cook.
Also, I firmly believe that my son is the independent, responsible young man he is today in part because I was an overwhelmed young parent. If they can safely do a task, show them how, supervise the next time, then let them make their own damn sandwich!

Lastly, keep plugging - it doesn’t last forever!

AT HOME

1. Put away your phone. Technology is a time waster and energy drain.

2. Assign your kids jobs. One is putting away their toys before bed.

3. Write out and post a weekly schedule.

4. When Claire was growing up, we negotiated House Rules between Claire, her dad and me, signed and dated by all three of us. Chores, bedtime, TV limits, homework, playtime, etc. Family rule: "It is unacceptable to say 'shut up'." Parents had chores, too. Posted on both refrigerators. Updated each August.

5. Cook large amounts. Freeze in meal-size units.

6. Ask people for help.

7. Keep your home organized. Get rid of clutter. Clean surfaces are calming. "Tidying Up With Marie Kondo" on Netflix was a revelation.

8. Set up backup babysitters.

9. Have a special spot for your phone, glasses, purse and keys. Always put them there. You won't waste time searching.

IN SCHOOL

1. In graduate school while working full time, I realized I could get an A if I did just 75% of the reading. Scan and write down main points.

2. Take excellent notes in class. This helps you study for tests.

3. Raise your hand, ask questions and participate in class discussions. This improves your grade.

4. Carry your books in your car. While in graduate school, I studied everywhere- at parties, during lunch, and in the shade beside pools. Once I studied by the light of a refrigerator.

5. Save long essays. For my master degree thesis, I combined two, big school papers, adding legal cases, analysis and a strong conclusion. It worked.

wonderful advice! thank you!

in the past i advised undergrads. I was never more amazed than when I saw a single parent doing what you're doing. lol... I don't know that there is time. but I can tell you the student with a child and job(s) almost always stuck it out and made it through. and it was always because of the kid. ? I might be able to save you some time studying and make it more efficient or effective. if you want to talk about it send me a PM.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:322715
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.