Agnostic.com

4 7

Learning to punt while cooking

"I forgot the butter while making muffins," my friend Sally said. "The muffins had just gone into the oven. So, I pulled them out and used a turkey baster to squirt a little melted butter in the center of each muffin. They were delicious."

This morning, I wondered:

"Did I add an extra cup of flour by mistake?"

"Or did I boil off too much water in the oatmeal?"

While mixing Whole Wheat Oatmeal Bread, the dough was dry and crumbly. It would not hold together.

So, I added nearly 1/2-cup of water with my hands, a few tablespoons at a time.

Flour is drier depending on when it was milled, storage temperature, and how long it was stored. It's important to test the dough with your hands, adding water if needed.

After kneading, the dough was silky smooth.

p.s. The bread rose beautifully. It is moist and delicious.

LiterateHiker 9 Apr 3

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

4 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I weigh ingredients and it makes a huge difference. Try it.

ADKSparky

After dividing the dough into four pieces, I weigh each piece.

This helps me make all four loaves the same size.

@LiterateHiker Great idea. I also do that when making Brioche.

I see you need help investigating whether these are good or just fabulous. I will start walking.

I looking at the comments you are going to have to get an outside bunch of benches for everyone.

Looks delicious.

There is nothing like the smell of fresh bread in the oven!

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:323900
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.