Agnostic.com

7 4

LINK Study debunks 'depression genes' hypotheses

You can stop blaming depression on your genetics. Surprise! IT's not that simple....seriously. While this new study hardly comes as a shock to those of us who suffer from debilitating depression, it still gives others more fuel to use against us....you know, those odious types who seem to think we can somehow cheer or think more positively if we just TRIED HARDER or looked on the bright side (or possibly found Jesus....not on THIS site, the last one!)

BookDeath 8 Apr 4

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

7 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Even a cursory reading of the article reveals that the author of the study doesn't agree with the sensational headline. I wish science for dumb people who want to reinforce their preconceived ideas didn't have so much press.

ppl don't choose to be depressed. some of us don't have enough dopamine/serotonin; whatever the reasons we didn't choose to be this way.

Haven't you heard of "The Secret"? The Secret is where people spend money on the book to make someone else's dream come true lol

I never believed all that "think it into existence" bull crap. It's not that simple. It's the first step, and it doesn't guarantee anything.

Far too often, despair regarding the current state and direction of humanity is misdiagnosed as depression.

Guess I can't blame my mother any longer for passing on depression to me. Guess mine is purely from my environment.

I hope this is a fair question.... There is a wide spectrum where I perceive both extremes as the ones faking it and the ones suffering the condition. How can we tell who is who?

People are faking depression? How do you know people are faking if you have no means to differentiate the two?

@indirect76 That's my question, how????

@Antidronefreeman We should bother to help the ones who really need help

@IamNobody Not exactly. Your question is how do we differentiate? Mine is why would you think anyone is faking?

@indirect76 I am saying that not everyone fits in the same box. Must have some that for whatever reason think they do but that's not necessarily true. I am not saying the ones who suffer from this condition are faking it. My question stands, how can we tell one from the other?

I've really grown intellectually about mental illness after being a part of a group meeting. I am fortunate to have been exposed to and discuss many diagnoses, coping mechanisms, and possible causes. It is in these discussions that i really have found weight to both situational and inherent problems.

In my personal journey, i tend to dismiss the situational because the uncontrollable issues with which i deal are so chaotic. Others have debilitating situational-based illness. It's unreasonable to assume in either way that someone can cheer the mood swing away.

My point (insight/opinion/offering to the discussion), although genetics remains inconclusive, the brain remains such a mystery at this time in history. In order to get true results, participants have to have proper diagnosis, treatment, and understanding of their individual challenges. Then mapping out candidates for the study with their family members to determine genetic links. This poses a multitude of problems.

My point? Although this seems like, okay mental illness is not necessarily genetic.... But it may have some significnace to inspire additional research with more precise or profound results.

Thanks, this is good information

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:324227
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.