Agnostic.com

3 1

LINK Cities Can't Punish Homeless People For Sleeping On Street, Court Affirms | HuffPost

Affordable housing (or the lack there) is SUCH an issue. When the Congressional candidate that I campaigned for in the midterms-Dem- was made aware of this (by me, because I kept interviewing folks when canvassing who were in housing distress), he made it one of his campaign platforms. I would love to see this addressed not only on a piecemeal basis, as is often the case, but statewide and nationally. It really needs to be tackled. People are hurting.

BookDeath 8 Apr 5

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

3 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I think there's a bit more complexity to this. We have a serious homeless problem in my area and people are setting up their campsites in parks, along hiking trails, and just about everywhere that they're mostly out of sight. This has caused a lot of backlash from people living in those areas due to some really awful behavior: litter all over the area, feces being left on the ground or tossed in the creek, aggressive panhandling, and generally hostile or threatening behavior to anyone passing by. There's also very disturbing behavior of public urination and masturbation, along with needles being left on the ground. For me personally, I'm concerned about the campfires and propane tanks being used that threaten destructive wildfires in an area that has had massive fires in the past.

There seems to be a routine of people calling the cops on these campsites, the police and volunteers coming along and cleaning up the area and evicting the transients, who then move a short distance away and start all over.

Obviously there's no single solution since there are many different types of homeless, some of whom prefer to freeze rather than submit to staying in one of the available shelters, and some who really are assholes, just wanting to stick it to the man and live off the grid.

Unfortunately, the solution requires a serious commitment from local and federal government for temporary housing, rehab services, mental health support, and law enforcement. But that requires tax dollars and in my area at least, that's not a desirable option. A lot of people around here just want to pass out bus tickets to get them out of town.

So yes, the homeless need food, shelter, health care, etc., but it needs to be part of a bigger overall solution.

Becaus of course they are not being punished enough already......

They should not be punishing those who can only afford to live in their cars or motor homes either. There needs to be affordable housing.

LB67 Level 7 Apr 5, 2019
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:324947
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.