Agnostic.com

29 2

I am really down about my new job. It's harder than anything I've ever had to learn (immunogenetics) and yet it's more money than I've ever made before in my life.

I don't think I should have taken it because while I'm managing to slog through it, I'm really unhappy. I'm gone from 6:38 am and not home until 7:05 pm (the job itself is 8 hours) and I'm overwhelmed with all I have to learn.

I'm in training but finding the whole process draining and depressing. I got really sick my second week there and the next generation sequencing I'm doing has a bazillion steps to it and I am finding myself just so sad about it, but I am faking it to my coworkers and manager any time I'm asked how it's going.

I cry about this almost daily, either before work or after. Today I'm trying to type up pages and pages of notes I've taken and I just don't want to.

When I try to talk to my sister and two of my friends about it, they say "think of the kids" and "think of the money" and "you can do it, I believe in you". And while I think that I can eventually do it, this is only the first phase of MANY new things I have to learn and when you work in a hospital lab, there are so many times that there will be STAT cases where you have to rush to do your work.

I have never found a job that I thought I couldn't handle, but I think I finally have.

I'm going to try to stick it out for a while longer, because I have credit cards I need to pay while I was laid off for a few months.

But I was just wondering, how long would you stay in a job that you knew was bad for your emotional/physical health?

Sciencemama 6 Mar 4

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

29 comments (26 - 29)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I have chucked in jobs as soon as I was financialy able to over coworkers I couldn't stand but never over work load. Sounds like this new job requires an awful lot of travel time and that is one of the things making it so much harder. It is fine to move on as soon as you are financially able but don't tell yourself it was because the work was too complicated, it would appear to me it's because there aren't enough hours in the day to meet the competeing demands and you aren't superwoman. Don't let your confidence take a beating just because the combined stresses of work, home and travel are too much, your age isn't the problem: the combined responsibilities are.

Kimba Level 7 Mar 4, 2018

I found in another of your responces a note on passed anxiety. So you have that in your makeup, to deal with. If you could get an understanding about your stressors, at least you could have a clearer understanding on whether to stay or go! If you are trying to be perfect, use that some other place, else. Give yourself a break, from your report, even your co-workers are challenged.

I think that somebody should have filled you in on what it is like to take a new job at your age! You are out of the 'detail age' and are now entering the age of the 'big picture!' Now, it will surely take you a bit longer to get the details under your belt than say 10 years ago! Just being in the learning curve, is going to create anixety, × 2 now, because you are in the 'big picture stage,'(of brain development) too! So relax, get your rest and take the pressure off and pace yourself! Even a genius couldn't come into a new job and take off like 'gang busters!' Put every thing on the back burner, for at least 6 months! Take all the help, offered to you. It is your stress level that is in question here...not your intelligence! Now, after you have taken this job on realistically for 6 months and it still feels 'disagreeable.' then you can leave. You gave it your best and things did not add up so as to keep you there. Best of luck...

You know how people say you can do/be anything if you put your mind to it? Well that's just not true for most people. You are too smart to do something that makes you miserable.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:32559
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.