Agnostic.com

9 4

Being there - that thing you do

Life is tough. Relationships are tough. And sometimes it feels like the whole world is focused on your suffering and destruction.

What non-physical, non-sexual things do you do for your partner to support them and demonstrate your concern and love?

ScienceBiker 8 Mar 5

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

9 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I think the sexual part of any relationship is the last part, like the icing on a cake - sweet and delicious, but not all that interesting without the cake. That being said, the cake is all about trust, vulnerability, openness, honesty, appreciation, listening, delight in being together, and having each others' backs.

I don't have a partner, but I have some friends, all female who visit, usually when their world is a bit unfriendly.
My home is somewhat of a sanctuary, they can come, bring their dog if they have one, just rest here and be away from their world. They are made to feel welcome, I will cook for them and they just rest, vent, enjoy the surrounds. Reading and music are encuraged and there is usually interesting conversation or an ear willing to just listen.

Listen when they talk. Cook for them, bake for them. Offer to help out when it they need a hand. Hike together. Climb together, nothing says I love you and support you more than having your partner on belay; literally having them trust you to catch them if they fall.

Sometimes I want someone to just listen and not try to fix things.

Keeping your word and owning your feelings, and not dumping on others, when things go wrong for you.

Talk
share funny videos
Do things together
Give them space if they need it, and know when not to give them space
Make memories

Not having a partner, I'll just use the example of stuff I do for my nephew and his wife. They both work long hours, I try to make sure the laundry doesn't get overwhelming, run the dishwasher when they forget, tidy up so they come home to an un-cluttered house.
I know those seem like relatively inconsequential things, but after a long day, coming home to a house that doesn't look like a bomb went off, makes it easier to relax and enjoy the time before the kids go to bed. I do other stuff, but I know how much of a grind it is to work a full day and then come home and have to put in more hours just keeping up a household. It used to aggravate the hell outta me when I'd come home and couldn't even relax because there was a mountain of chores to be done. Especially when I was the only one doing them.

Visited site member recently and failed to establish a physical and sexual lrelationship so all Iknow at this point is trying to be a friend.

Sorry that didn't work out as you had hoped. Friends are good though. 🙂

ya @KKGator and you know it gives me a chance to meet new people.

Listening is key, I think. Really listening and not "waiting for your turn to talk".

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:32801
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.