Agnostic.com

10 4

Instant gratification.

In the world of Google it, of Alexa, or all those convenient gadgets, how do you deal with relationships?

Do you expect it to be instantly gratifying? Like you will know exactly who that person is the second you meet?
Do you Google them before hand, do your own research, or go by your gut?

How do you feel about having a nice dinner, talking over coffee, getting to know someone as a person before passing judgment?

Akfishlady 8 Mar 5

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

10 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

"Instant gratification takes too long." -Postcards From the Edge

Old school I like the latter idea of getting to know someone

In psychology the greatest detirminant of sucess is the ability to delay gratification. The marshmallow test is the lay term for it. I find it to be applicable to so many people I have encountered.

I must be real old fashioned. It would take me a while to get to know someone if I did not meet them in the context of my daily life of better yet school/college days.I was just musing about people posting about their disappointment at having not met someone after being on this site for some months. I would be surprised if that happened to me and if I did connect with someone would want to take some time to get to know them

Instant gratification is the demise of totally satisfaction. I am all for taking it slow, getting to know someone over dinner. I am all for falling in love the old fashion way and knowing the person before anything happens. That being said, I am causious and will research the person I am dating online. However, just because I may find something that might not be pleasing, I will not pass judgement until that person has an opportunity to put in context.

Instant gratification is great in relationships or getting to know someone. It means it's going well and in the right direction. Having fun along the way to knowing someone better is a requirement in my book.

it all depends but i always play it by ear.

Technology is never going to replace the "feels" of meeting face to face. That said, I would not be very comfortable with a partner that was totally internet inept.

Ha! I keep trying to get the guys on my dating sites out for coffee or food. They all get creepy before we ever even meet though.

Sometimes it takes weeks to become just friends. Time is the factor to get to know someone.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:32838
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.