Agnostic.com

18 1

What would you have had your parents change in raising you? Have you adopted your parents traits or have you changed them in bringing up your children?

Marine 8 Mar 5

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

18 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I would have changed my parents into caring, loving people who didn't use their kids to promote their social status. I.e. I have 7 children who behave wonderfully (even if they are terrified of making the wrong move), compliment me on how my 7 children are well taken care of (never mind how screwed up they are inside). It was always about them, never about us kids. It's a terrible thing to grow up never feeling safe.

I've come to realise I was fortunate in my upbringing, both my parents had a faith of sorts but it was never imposed on me or my brother. They were caring, loving and supportive and I hope I'm the same with mine. It's such a shame that I appear to have been in a minority

My parents were fantastic people. They had flaws but they tried their best.

I wouldn't change that. Even with the religion thrown in. (Though I'd have been happier without it).

No kids.

I wish mine had have either given me up for adotion, I did ask them to often when I was young, or cast me to the elements.

At this stage of my life I have to say I had pretty good parents.REliable generous moved away from the alcohol and drugs that was a big part of one side of the family.WE had problems when I was coming up because I was not a typical kind of kid and they had a Germanic OCD streak . Thankfully we have all lived long enough to smooth out the wrinkles or cherish them as a part of the fabric that gives it its own special character

I wish they had not been evangelicals. I never forced my children to go to any religious events or church. I was forced and shamed to go to church.

My parents should have never had kids. Which is what I had planned for myself, after seeing the way they treated my siblings and me. But, of course, there was this unexpected pregnancy, and I have a kid. I changed everything! I actually treated my daughter like a human being.

We were a free range family so I would have made no changes. In fact some of the things I found fault with, I and my brothers now do the opposite to our betterment. I made mistakes with my daughter in I was trying to be more of a friend than a parent. her mother didn't seem to want to bother with her upbringing. Unfortunately, she was taken away at the age of 7 and moved to the other side of the globe. I still had some influence but not much.

I think considering the way that my parents grew up and their faith, if they had raised me in any other way it would have meant they did not love me, but for better or worse, they did. spankings were sparse, and always hands on the butt. I heard my father remark several years ago that he had raised me to think for myself, and that perhaps he had done too good a job.....lol

There is way too much to list

It's a mix. Some good some bad.

I learned from my parents perseverance, a strong work ethic, and innovation in solving life problems. It was a bit different as we were poor and it was taught out of necessity.

I did try to formalize teaching these values for my kids, as they grew up with much more affluence. I did restrict a lot to force some necessity.

I also worked hard on things my parents didn't teach. I never hit my kids, and learned to use natural consequences to guide them. Very different than my upbringing. I was almost never hit by my parents, some of my siblings weren't as lucky.

Wonderful! I never laid a hand on my kids either. I am always delighted to hear of others that did not hit!!!

The one thing I would have appreciated when growing up would have been to have not been indoctrinated in a belief in God. The single thing kept me miserable and enslaved to religion for most of my life. Would have been great if they had taught me about various religions and beliefs instead and let me make up my own mind.

To not teach us about cult religions

i had a great childhood and didnt quite see eye to eye with my dad but ouldnt change anything. some things my parents tought me were very good values which i tweeded a bit and i guess if i knew what i know now i would tweek some more.

My childhood was terrifying. Would never raise my children like my parents unless I want my children/grandchildren to hate me.

Same here

I would have had them change into responsible adults instead of remaining co-dependant children, themselves.

I changed everything.

I would have changed everything they did in rasing me. No church,i would have had them say they loved me and were proud of me instead of that's the best you can do and strict strict rules ETC. It was an empty home difficult to say I missed anything about it. Yes I changed the way I brought up my family and they really turned out great. We are very close as are my grandchildren. It could not be better.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:32841
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.