Agnostic.com

35 4

LINK The closed mind of Richard Dawkins

“Quite apart from the substance of the idea, there is no reason to suppose that the Genesis myth to which Dawkins refers was meant literally. Coarse and tendentious atheists of the Dawkins variety prefer to overlook the vast traditions of figurative and allegorical interpretations with which believers have read Scripture. Both Augustine and before him the Jewish philosopher Philo of Alexandria explicitly cautioned against literalism in interpreting the biblical creation story. Later, in the twelfth century, Maimonides took a similar view. It was only around the time of the Reformation that the idea that the story was a factual account of events became widely held. When he maintains that Darwin's account of evolution displaced the biblical story, Dawkins is assuming that both are explanatory theories—one primitive and erroneous, the other more advanced and literally true. In treating religion as a set of factual propositions, Dawkins is mimicking Christianity at its most fundamentalist.”

skado 9 Apr 11

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

35 comments (26 - 35)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Dawkins does not ‘assume,’ ...you lost me there. The Science was not replaced, religious teachings were overridden is how I take that.

This seems like gotcha apologetics: "Gotcha! It's allegorical!"

Allegorical interpretation is indeed old. For instance, Plutarch, in his book "On Isis and Osiris" (46 - 120 CE), states "Therefore, Clea, whenever you hear the traditional tales which the Egyptians tell about the gods, their wanderings, dismemberments, and many experiences of this sort, you must remember what has been already said, and you must not think that any of these tales actually happened in the manner in which they are related. The facts are that they do not call the dog by the name Hermes as his proper name, but they bring into association with the most astute of their gods that animal's watchfulness and wakefulness and wisdom, since he distinguishes between what is friendly and what is hostile by his knowledge of the one and his ignorance of the other, as Plato remarks." [penelope.uchicago.edu]*/A.html

But how does one tell what's literal and what's allegorical? If something is allegorical, then what is an allegory of? The Bible does not discuss allegorical interpretation anywhere, as far as I know.

It’s allegorical of human psychology, particularly the unconscious. Religions are a collective waking dream that helps, at the species level, to process mostly unconscious conflicts.

“The Bible does not discuss allegorical interpretation anywhere, as far as I know.”

par·a·ble
/ˈperəb(ə)l/

noun
noun: parable; plural noun: parables
a simple story used to illustrate a moral or spiritual lesson, as told by Jesus in the Gospels."the parable of the blind men and the elephant"

synonyms: allegory, moral story, moral tale, fable, lesson, exemplum; Haggadah; rare apologue "the parable of the prodigal son"

Origin

Middle English: from Old French parabole, from an ecclesiastical Latin sense ‘discourse, allegory’ of Latin parabola ‘comparison’, from Greek parabolē (see parabola).

Strong's Bible Concordance reports that the word "parable" appears in the Bible some two thousand four hundred fifty seven times, at least one of which strikes me as being of particular interest to this conversation:
Matthew 13:34 (King James Version)
"All these things spake Jesus unto the multitude in parables; and without a parable spake he not unto them."

Perhaps it would not be far off the mark to assume the entire Bible is parable, or allegory.

As to the Genesis creation stories being considered allegorical, let us consider what everybody's favorite Genesis allegoricalist, Augustine, thought about the age of the Universe. From his book City of God, book 18 (http://www.newadvent.org/fathers/120118.htm):

Chapter 40.— About the Most Mendacious Vanity of the Egyptians, in Which They Ascribe to Their Science an Antiquity of a Hundred Thousand Years.

In vain, then, do some babble with most empty presumption, saying that Egypt has understood the reckoning of the stars for more than a hundred thousand years. For in what books have they collected that number who learned letters from Isis their mistress, not much more than two thousand years ago? Varro, who has declared this, is no small authority in history, and it does not disagree with the truth of the divine books. For as it is not yet six thousand years since the first man, who is called Adam, are not those to be ridiculed rather than refuted who try to persuade us of anything regarding a space of time so different from, and contrary to, the ascertained truth? For what historian of the past should we credit more than him who has also predicted things to come which we now see fulfilled? And the very disagreement of the historians among themselves furnishes a good reason why we ought rather to believe him who does not contradict the divine history which we hold. But, on the other hand, the citizens of the impious city, scattered everywhere through the earth, when they read the most learned writers, none of whom seems to be of contemptible authority, and find them disagreeing among themselves about affairs most remote from the memory of our age, cannot find out whom they ought to trust. But we, being sustained by divine authority in the history of our religion, have no doubt that whatever is opposed to it is most false, whatever may be the case regarding other things in secular books, which, whether true or false, yield nothing of moment to our living rightly and happily.

(the "chapters" are all very short" )

Yes, Augustine was a young-earther, and most Christian and Jewish theologians were young-earthers until the last few centuries, despite many pagan philosophers believing that the Universe is much older than what one would calculate from the Bible's genealogies. In fact, some philosophers believed that the Universe is infinitely old -- eternal.

Chriistianity is too ludicrous to be fundemental

Dawkins is trying showing that fairy tales are a bunch of bs. No matter how it's written.

Ok somebody here got butthurt thinking that a book of fairy tales is real...

Rubbish face the facts and proof that evolution speaks for itself loud and clear

I love Richard Dawkins!

so how do we know which parts are an analogy and which parts are the literal word of god. Please pass on the bits that are literal......better yet.....why don't YOU re-write it so the christian world can be of one mind

The writer of this article and I, as most members of this site, are not believers in a literal god, so I don’t claim that any of the Bible is the literal word of God.

Lots of people take Genesis literally! Come to the South! The Bible says it, I believe it, that settles it! I love Dawkins!

I’ve lived nowhere but Tennessee, Alabama, and Florida. Does that qualify? I’m very familiar with what the fundamentalists say. But their majority status doesn’t make them the entirety of “religion”. And it doesn’t make them right. I love Dawkins too. But he totally is a fundamentalist. The “New Atheism” of today believes that “god” is to be taken literally, just like the fundamentalists do, the only difference being that they then reject that god instead of accept it. There is little to no recognition in them that there is any other way to see the matter.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:329084
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.