Agnostic.com

6 3

America was (mostly) founded and populated by religious groups escaping persecution in their home nations.

Australia was (mostly) populated by criminals deported there from the UK as a prison colony.

I wonder how their crime statistics compare today......

Just sayin' 😉

Uncorrugated 7 Mar 5

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

6 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

australia is one of the best countries and hardest to get into

Australia was not mostly populated by criminals through transportation. Yes, there was deportation in a couple of states for a period, but the greatest means of white settlement was carried through free settlers and alike who came to Australia from the early 1800s. A greater number of Australian states had nothing whatever to do with criminal transportation. My own ancestors came out from the 1850s and they were farming and other folk. Both the US and Australia were largely settled by population movements from Anglo European countries. The criminal deportation aspect of early white Australian history is a colourful initial part of that but only statistically a small part.

I know, but it is more interesting than migration. Makes for better stories. And even back in the days, they were petty criminals, often the crime was being poor, or stealing something very minor to feed their kids.

@Rugglesby there has been some debate about that. Were they Jean val jean types stealing bread, or serious criminals. I think many were serious criminals. Why go to the trouble of transporting petty criminals. I'll check on that.

@David1955 serious criminal would have been hung? Remember the prison barges clogging up the Thames.

@Rugglesby I concede the point. A little checking today I found that amongst the first fleeters were some highway robbers and some more serious crims amongst the petty crooks, but you're right that crimes like murder, rape and alike brought the rope.

Hence posting this in "silly, random and fun".....

>America was (mostly) founded and populated by religious groups escaping persecution in their home nations.

nope. The english dumped criminals on both countries. It is also worth noting that what was often considered criminal at the time would be considered civil today. Debtor prision was a thing. As was Herasy up until 1813.

While the US has always been pretty good (relatively) on the tolerance of religion issue to say the bulk of people came over for it is not accurate.

You're right about the purpose behind the establishment of the colonies, as out of the 13, only 5 (Massachusetts Bay, Connecticut, Rhode Island, Pennsylvania and Maryland) were founded for stated religious purposes. And two of those six (Connecticut and Rhode Island) were founded by former Massachusetts Bay (Puritan) colonists! The primary reason for all, however, was opportunity.

As far as prisoner 'dumping,' while it's true that the American colonies were the unfortunate recipients of some 52,000 convicts, the estimated population of the 13 colonies in 1775 was 2.4 million inhabitants. Australia, on the other hand, had a population in 1840 of only 190,000, but had by that time received roughly 150,000 prisoners. It's fairly clear to see how Australia's reputation would have differed from America's, based on the ratios of colonists to convicts.

Hence posting this in "silly, random and fun".....

would be interesting study

I'm glad you pointed that out. Thanks

To be more accurate, America was colonised by religious extremists 'escaping' what they said was persecution because their home countries thought they, the extremists, were persecuting other people too much and too harshly. They were too dour and severe for 1600's Britain. That's saying something.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:32941
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.