Agnostic.com

6 1

LINK Daniel Ellsberg On Assange Arrest: The Beginning of the End For Press Freedom

DANIEL ELLSBERG - "It’s a very serious assault on the First Amendment. A clear attempt to rescind the freedom of the press, essentially. Up till now we’ve had a dozen or so indictments of sources, of which my prosecution is the very first prosecution of an American for disclosing information to the American public. And that was ended a couple of years later by governmental misconduct. There were two others before President Obama, and nine or so under President Obama, of sources, none of these having been tested in the Supreme Court yet as to their relation to the First Amendment. Hasn’t gone to them.

This is the first indictment of a journalist and editor or publisher, Julian Assange. And if it’s successful it will not be the last. This is clearly is a part of President Trump’s war on the press, what he calls the enemy of the state. And if he succeeds in putting Julian Assange in prison, where I think he’ll be for life, if he goes there at all, probably the first charge against him is only a few years. But that’s probably just the first of many."

WilliamCharles 8 Apr 12

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

6 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

[caitlinjohnstone.com]

"There’s a huge myth being misreported about today’s indictment of Assange,” journalist Glenn Greenwald tweeted today. “The claim that Assange tried to help Manning circumvent a password to cover her tracks isn’t new. The Obama DOJ knew about it since 2011, but chose not to prosecute him. Story on this soon.”

“Holder chose not to prosecute Assange based on the same info Trump DOJ cited,” Greenwald added.

“The weakness of the US charge against Assange is shocking,” tweeted NSA whistleblower Edward Snowden. “The allegation he tried (and failed?) to help crack a password during their world-famous reporting has been public for nearly a decade: it is the count Obama’s DOJ refused to charge, saying it endangered journalism.”"

I think too many responding don't get it. It doesn't matter if he's a jerk. It doesn't matter if outing Hillary and the DNC gives you a sad. The help in hacking charges are just that and have yet to be established. It's the government that needs to be transparent. Next you'll be clamoring for a Ministry of Truth. They're already hurting alternative news sources and claim they're unreliable when the MSM gets away with peddling many lies in the service of the state without repercussions.

Ask yourself why the people who got it right about the Iraq war still aren't featured as talking heads. Instead, you still get Bloody Bill Kristol as a regular guest on MSNBC.

Some people haven't read 1984 or wouldn't recognize it happening right in front of them.

Assange (the boy who cried "wolf" on a weekly basis) has given us drump. Your premise is ridiculous.

The DNC and Team Hillary gave us Cheetolini. He was their handpicked Pied Piper. Rigging primaries has consequences.

@WilliamCharles Why not ask Trey Gowdy & the rest of the Very hostile Repug investigative team, who blew through approx 6 million taxpayer dollars investigating this Years ago....no indictments, no censure, no nothing. Time to abandon beating that dead horse! Just like every other trumped-up charge, If they could have found one thing, just one, they would have run with it!

W.J. Astore

"Give me five minutes, and I can tell you exactly what Bernie Sanders believes in. Single-payer health care for all. A $15 minimum wage. Higher taxes on the richest Americans. College education that doesn’t bankrupt families and leave students with crushing debt. Criminal justice reform. Investment in infrastructure and renewable energy. He gives specifics, and he’s walked a principled walk for decades.

But what does the Democratic Partly leadership believe in? As this article at Truthdig put it, “Nancy Pelosi Believes In Nothing.” Of course, she does believe in something: her own power and privilege, which she seeks to maintain and expand. But principles like those held by Bernie Sanders? Forget about it.

I’ve been reading Matt Taibbi’s “The Great Derangement,” a terrific book that came out in 2008, and Taibbi nails it in this passage (pages 243-4):

The Democrats’ error was in believing that people wouldn’t notice this basic truth [that the party’s ideology is driven by power and nothing more] about their priorities. They were wrong on that score. In fact, a Quinnipiac poll taken around that time [2007] found the approval rating of Congress had fallen to 23 percent. Other polls saw the number plummet to the teens. The rating of the Democratic Congress was even lower than [George W.] Bush’s, and it was not hard to see why. Bush was wrong and insane, but he stood for something. It was a fucked-up something, but it was something. The Democrats stood for nothing; they viewed their own constituents as problems to be handled, and even casual voters were beginning to see this.

If you substitute Trump’s name for Bush’s in the above quotation, it makes even more sense. “[Trump] was wrong and insane, but he stood for something. It was a fucked-up something, but it was something.”

This is the biggest issue for corporate Democrats: What do you stand for? For so many in the establishment, what they stand for is themselves. The perpetuation of their own power and privilege. This is the biggest reason why Hillary Clinton lost in 2016. It was always all about her."

[bracingviews.com]

@AnneWimsey

Russiagate is the dead horse Team Hillary is beating. Why wouldn't they, it was their concoction.

@AnneWimsey

Where's Trey Gowdy come in?

@WilliamCharles ohferpetessake...ever hear he was the head of the Benghazi Investigation?
Amnesia is So convenient! Especially for drump apologists

@AnneWimsey

Cool yer jets there, Anne. I wanted to know how it applied to Assange revealing war crimes. Hillary has quite a lot of blood on her hands. Assange helped expose that.

Gowdy is a POS as well.

@WilliamCharles gee, I mostly remember Podesta's risotto recipe being the big revelation. And I was a Bernie supporter, big time.
Hilary...blood from where, exactly? Other than Bernie's..........

@AnneWimsey

The Dems never, ever explained the pedophilia code words in those emails. Seems as if that would have been easy to do.

You talk about being clueless... Hillary pushed for the destruction of Libya. In fact, she cackled like a deranged sociopath after Gaddafi was sodomized with a bayonet before being murdered.

Your ignorance of Hillary's warmongering does not speak well of your political knowledge.

:----:

"Berta Cáceres, a Honduran indigenous rights and environmental activist, named Hillary Clinton, holding her responsible for legitimating the 2009 coup. “We warned that this would be very dangerous,” she said, referring to Clinton’s effort to impose elections that would consolidate the power of murderers."

[thenation.com]

@WilliamCharles "pedophilia code words". Yeah, okay.......because she is my age, and us older women are well-known as pedophiles. In fact, my mug got plastered all over Facebook as one when I was defending Hillary against fathead rumor-mongers like you, by several people who obviously were not native English speakers. Estonian BS, much? FACT: that pizza parlor, like most real estate in swampy DC, is built on a slab, no basement whatsoever. Which anyone with a real interest in the truth could have checked, building plans are public record!
Nasty, nasty troublemaker, you & your co-conspitators!

@AnneWimsey

You still don't get it. There were some things written that were extremely cryptic. Would love to know what the hell they were talking about. It's from the FBI list of pedophile code words.

The Comet Pizza owner himself was quoted in a Sunday news mage about storing canned tomatoes in his basement. There's tunnels all through yhat area.

One of HRC's CFI employees was busted in Haiti for child trafficking. Again... sorry you can't see past your filters.

@WilliamCharles OMG, you cannot be serious! Go to the Town Hall, read the building plans! "There are tunnels all through there"??? So the slab can fall in?
Blocking your willfully 8gnorant stupidity Now!

Simply disgusting

I’ll take that chance.

Varn Level 8 Apr 12, 2019

The suggestion is the he offered to crack a password. I haven't read the indictment but I'm told that it very carefully doesn't mention what he reported, edited or published, only what he hacked. Hacking is a crime like dangerous driving, theft or violence. Surely you can't be suggesting that someone accused of those crimes should not be brought to justice if they committed their alleged crimes in pursuit of a journalistic career?

"Excuse me sir can you explain to me why you were doing 80 MPH ins a 60 MPH zone."
"Well I'm a journalist late for a press junket"
"In that case follow me sir"

Seems unlikely especially in days when the barriers to being a citizen journalist are so low.

Personally I think the US punishes cyber offences with feverish insanity anyway and is more than a little aggrieved at the ends to which this hacking was a means. They're going to throw the book at him. I'd be happier if the UK could consider fair sentencing as well as a fair trial when considering the extradition.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:329411
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.