Agnostic.com

17 2

Did you post a "hello" in General & Hellos when you first joined this site?

• 11 votes
  • 52 votes
Jnei 8 Mar 5

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

17 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I have ADHD. My modus operandi is to dive right in to interacting with humans.

I think that they know that I'm here.

I don't remember. Probably just dove right in and started commenting.
That's sounds more like me anyway.

I think I did.

You gotta jump in to learn to swim.

I thought I would. I had like one person comment on it hahahaha. I'm not the most interesting man in the world, more like a bit peculiar.

This group was so full of interesting posts that I forgot. Great group.

I just did a post in General & Hellos... just make it a Warning Shot after 50,000 points.

Not so much arguing just spirited conversation

Ok I just scrolled through all my posts back to the very beginning... phew! And no I didn't post a hello. I started reading.

Eventually I posted.

I don't think so, can't remember to be honest.

I made sure I had a bio. Other than that I dove right in 🙂

No, I didn't. I dived in and started reading, commenting and replying to all the awesome people here.

I did! I had a small intro before posting anywhere else.

You need an "I don't really remember" option, because I don't remember.

Right! I need an "I don't remember" option everywhere.

@DelilahJones33 Ain't that the truth!

@DelilahJones33 lol

I'd add one, but the chances of me ever remembering to do so are slight.

@Jnei I so feel your pain!

I don't think I posted a "hello" but I do make sure to welcome new people when they post a "hello".

Hello@Silvertongue

Useful question! We are trying to improve how many new members come back and the current design can be a bit overwhelming. Ideas?

Admin Level 9 Mar 5, 2018

I was hooked immediately (IIRC, there was an interesting question in "Academic" as bait) so I'm not the best person to answer. How many people are acting as welcomers? If it's not many, encouraging more people to take part in that might help a lot - a friendly hello and knowing they have someone they can ask any questions about the site might persuade more new members to hang around.

@Jnei The new "welcome" greeters program will go live later this week. It's purpose is to connect new people with matching regulars so they have at least one member they know. Ironically, this is what we used to have at church 😉

@BeerAndWine I've been suggesting a "Mute" or "Ignore" button for a long time. The best we have so far is Block.

I'm sincerely confused at your question. What are you trying to improve upon with regard to new members? Coming back? You mean joining, but then leaving right away?

@BlueWave Agreed re. a mute button.

@BlueWave Over 80% of new members don't make it to level 3. We're trying to provide more value to these members so they "stick" with it.

@BeerAndWine 1. we toyed about having nested comments but often it gets out of control (will think more about it). 2. "block members" is similar to "mute"... perhaps if we change it to "mute" more people would use it?

@Admin Ah... ok, got it re new member retention.

@Admin Re mute—Every person I have blocked was blocked only because I actually wanted to mute them.

I still think both options are valid. If Jeff is harassing and being a complete dick directly to Marvin, that’s where block comes in. If Jeff is just an annoying shit stirrer, that is where mute comes in.

@BlueWave Ok - I'll change it to "mute" (or maybe soften the words on "block" )... we can use "Flag" for misbehavin' members.

@Admin I still think all three are valid and if you can do all three, that would actually be best.

Flag = Report for Misbehavin' -- violation of TOS - this is 100% where Admin handles.

Mute = I will not see what Jeff is writing anymore because I get mildly annoyed or angry when he talks out of his behind. Jeff will not necessarily know that I cannot see his posts, comments, replies, profile, etc. Jeff CAN/MIGHT still see what I write. We still exist to each other -- I just walked into another room and left him talking by himself.

Block = I think Jeff is incredibly annoying and intentionally tries to bait people into reactions, arguments, etc. Jeff also has a tendency to be rude and dismissive. Or, Jeff has sent me annoying or creepy Private Messages. While he is not technically violating any terms of service, I simply don't want to see anything Jeff writes anymore. I don't want to know he exists. I don't want to see his comments, profile, replies, or post. AND Jeff no longer can see any of those things about me. Jeff is blocked. So, on this platform we do not EXIST to each other.

Hope that helps to clarify that all three options are very valuable to different people for different reasons.

@BlueWave ok "on the list"

@Admin Thank you. 🙂

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:33025
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.