Agnostic.com

13 2

What exactly is a "Humanitarian Church"? -*edit*- I mean "Unitarian" hahaha :P and thanks for all the answers! Still not something I would ever attend, but interesting regardless.

I'm not sure what this is. Is it free of religious preaching entirely? What goes on over there and why is it considered a Church? Do you attend one?

EhMularz 5 Mar 6

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

13 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Typical services order:

Everyone sits down. Community announcements. Chalice lighting. Sing a secular hymn (please see link below). Share a joy. Share a sorrow or concern. Recite a mediation. Collection plate. Speach. Comments about speech. Sing another hymn. Chalice unlighting. Coffee hour.

Tyically the speech is either about some historical information themes like for example "why ancient pagans had groundhogs day" or about a very topical political issue. Generally UUs seek deeds over words which is why when the chalice is put out they say "let our services begin". The speechs are basically "ok I found something in this religion that I thought is applicable to everyone regardless of what they believe"

Socially its an odd bunch. These are the types of people who vote 3rd party and wear socks with toes. People who run it say its a bit like herding cats. I am getting more and more involved with them especially the charity and politcal work they do.

So if you want to meet a bunch of happy friendly oddballs go there.

[en.wikipedia.org]

I tried our local UUA church a few times. I knew a very nice lady who went there and she invited me. A very diverse group of people and probably the kindest, most progressive, most accepting, and loving people I've met. If more people acted like Unitarians it would be a much better world. That said, I was not a good match with UUA folks. They're a bit too kind and loving. I'm not a hugger. UUA people are huggers. They're optimistic and dedicated to bettering the world. I'm kind of burned out with people.

they are all different and valid. I have had several good experiences for community there

Not free of any woo at all. Unitarian-Universalists are sort of a smorgasbord, they borrow from various religions in a non-dogmatic way, and accept atheists into fellowship as well.

The in-joke is that when the two eponyous churches merged into the UU "denomination", one believed god was too good to condemn man, the other believed man was too good for god to condemn.

Reading the other answers I am now totally confused. A number of the USA's first presidents were Unitarians but at that point in time it was similar to Christianity in that it believed in God but differed in not believing in the Trinity, hence Unitarian, no Father, Son and Holy Ghost.

Kimba Level 7 Mar 6, 2018

The unitarians and universalists merged around 1960 to form the Unitarian-Universalist church. I call them "post Christian" because they are non-creedal. Normally what technically defines a Christian church is at least nominal subscription to one of the historic church creeds (basic doctrinal / belief statement) such as the Nicene Creed. The UU church describes themselves as "covanental" rather than "creedal". They accept atheists, any sort of theist, into their community. It sounds better than it is in practice in my (admittedly rather superficial) experience. They seem to substitute hyper-liberal activist political ideology for religious ideology, and I find it equally annoying and cliquish.

The Holy Ghost is my favorite part of the Trinity. I was care-giving an older Hispanic man, "devout" Catholic family. He was terminally ill, and lived in a remote part of New Mexico on a Spanish Land Grant property. A nun came once every couple weeks to administer the sacrament to this guy. When he saw her coming down the road, he would always say, with a twinkle in his eye, "Here comes that Holy Goat." I got kick outta that.

Universal uniterian. Here is all the info.
[google.com]

It may differ, the one I went to was free of relgious preaching. It is called Unitiarian Universalist. It is concenred about spituality not religo.The one in my town, does not call itself a church. It is called a Fellowship. They a coffee time to meet and greet. Any religion or non reilgion is welcomed. The programs are not about religion, but about themes The only symbolic thing is a candle. Disccussion is welcome and encourged. At discussion after one of plays, we we asked about the play, and one lady waited her turn and commented it was sexist and another women took her trun in saying so too, and everyone went home happy There were no crosses or other relgious stuff up in the building. You can bring you coffe into "sevice", and you can wear jeans with no one having a fuss. I was comfortable there, even being a atheist. The churchs/fellowships seem to be different, I went to one near Denver, which was more focused on Christ, and I enjoyed the music, but felt uncomfortable about anything religous. You might have to go to the one in your town to see if it fits you.[uua.org]

there isn't a UU here that isn't a bit tainted but when I visit my friend in Brighton I always pop in .soemtimes its a really mad service with everyone singing whatever they want

An oxymoron to say the least.

more bullshit

have you been to one? it is not bullshit

They only serve Humans, as opposed to a vegitarian church, which would be more rabbit food leaning. I could be wrong......

One that believes you should not burn witches. They believe electric shock should be used instead, because it is less painful.

Unitarian Universalist perhaps?

I have a sister in CA who belongs to one.

Basically anyone can attend - believers in god - and non believers. I've even heard of Wiccans attending.

You can Google Unitarian Universalist and it will give you guiding principles,

Huh, I've never heard of it. I guess most religions would claim a humanitarian perspective, but it sounds like there's a church that identifies specifically as humanitarian, like that's its denomination? Where did you encounter it?

@EhMularz The idea is that it is a place for people to meet who want to share their ideas on faith or the lack thereof with others who are open-minded about learning to live better together and learn from each other. The sermons are, I would assume, more life lessons and moral teachings, not leaning toward any one faith. The church is a spinoff of a liberal Christian church some time ago (100 years?) but is no longer technically Christian, obviously. If church attendance became compulsory and I HAD to choose a church to attend, this would likely be the one.

@EhMularz I think it appeals to people who may not have strong views about religion or God, but who still want the structure, community, and routine.

There's an old joke:
Q: What do you call an agnostic who has kids?
A: A Unitarian.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:33133
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.