Agnostic.com

4 3

Online safety.

Search engines have made information readily available all over the world, and in nearly every topic.

This includes privacy. You may not realize this, but it is very easy to find people online.

I have read that all you need is three identifiers to find a person.

identifiers are things like...

first name
last name
birthday
phone number
ssn

Those are obvious, right?

What about these?

Hobbies
Professions
Photographs
City or Location

Some people are good at this kind of thing (me) and some are not. So here is how it works...

Let's say I have first and last name, with location.

Easy peasey... try it on yourself, you might be surprised. If you have first and last name both use it like this "John Smith" in your search, then add the name of the place.

The key here is name. If you don't have an actual name, then it is harder. Then you need to do some real digging....like school records, if you know where they went to school. Or work. Or clubs.

What if you volunteered someplace...often your name gets posted someplace as a thank you.

Facebook is the devil when it comes to privacy, as are other social media outlets...even pintrest or instagram.

I won't say how as it is a bit beyond the average person, but you can even search an image in google to find every place it has been used.

So your profile photo, you got from last years picinic and also posted it on instragram and facebook.. bam, all done.

email? usually email has your name, and ip address it was sent from. Geo-ip can identify the location of the internet service provider. pow, location. or name.

Some forums used to show ip addresses, some things like wiki's still show them when editing.

This assumes that the person has no access to anything "official."

I assume that people could find me if they wanted to bad enough. You should as well, and if you are ever credibly threatened online you should report it ASAP.

Not sure if people realize this kind of thing or not, but let me assure you it is very real. If you pay a couple bucks online you can get criminal records, property records, birth records(maybe), marriage records.

As language processing ability increases the access to this information is easier and easier.

Be careful out there folks.

arnies 7 Mar 6

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

4 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

For me it really depends on how private you want to be. I use Facebook privacy controls to restrict who can see my posts and I also limit what I post online. If someone wants to "find" me they can learn limited information and could maybe delve into the standard record sources to find my address. But is that a problem? Not really - it's largely information that you could have got from electoral rolls etc. but it's just a bit easier.

I can make it harder for internet providers and security forces to track me and to snoop on what I'm doing by using a VPN to connect to the internet and I can use more private browsers like "Duck Duck Go" of traffic obfuscation browsers like Tor. But really what are we afraid to give away? I'm not actually worried about people seeing the information I put out there but I am more concerned by snooping by hackers or state agencies who I dont' trust to keep truly private data data safe. As a generakl rule, if you don't want people to know something then just don't post it anywhere online and use encrypted connections to stop snooping of ecommerce and banking data.

My names are unusual , and oddly spelled on top of that , yet I've seen searches saying I am a dance instructor living in New York . Never lived in NY and have never taught dance .

I really don't care if someone finds me. Maybe they'll be nice and bring me a present. I had a stalker on my doorstep one morning and it ended up allowing me to help a poor lady who needed some attention. She says it saved her life.

Now I keep financial stuff off there. If they steal my SSN and try to start credit cards in my name they'll be in for a big surprise. If they make contracts in my name then the same or even more the same to any collector trying to squeeze me for a dime. I am pretty much judgment proof and impervious to the claims of exorbitant atty fees. If they want to kill me then they just put me out of my misery. I'm like that propane guy's (Hank Hill) son Bobby. Fat, old guy without anything to lose or gain. It might be fun!

True and thanx

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:33163
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.