Agnostic.com

9 3

Young people and voting

I have been around a number of young people who for some reason do not believe in the power of their vote. Some actually voted for trump as a gesture of a joke. They do not recognize the damage he has done to our country regarding clean air,women rights along with the gay community,banking environment, allies,medicine Etc. Why do the young have these feelings?

Marine 8 Nov 10

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

9 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

WAHAHAHAHAHAHA. You think our votes matter?

The measures and laws are written so that no matter what the vote is, the rich win.
Young people are recognizing more and more that democrats and republicans are the same thing, outdated, miserly, catty idiots.

The only things that matter are what is profitable for corporations. You can't vote to stop that.

Well, more people actually voted for Hillary. It's the electoral college that screwed things up, not the popular vote.

We as a country so not do a very good job teaching young people about civics, how it works, why it matters, etc and why voting is an important part of being a citizen. We then turn them loose with no idea what to do, how things happening in someplace far away will impact them, and just expect them to figure it out and care all in their own. I'm a Gen X-er and I know I didn't care enough to be bothered to vote until I was mid 30s. Politicians don't pay any attention to the younger demographic because there is no money to be had - they aren't exactly campaign donors. And from younger voter's perspective the options are one old white guy or another equally old equally white guy so what is the point? Every now and again a politician comes along and appeals to the younger voters and you see this surge in activism, but the parties haven't figured out how to hold on to that momentum. The party that can figure out the secret formula to appealing to those young voters will have the golden ticket to getting elected.

GwenC Level 7 Nov 10, 2017

The lack of civics classes and giving them awareness of what men died to attain does not make them commit to voting which is a shame.

If a mere semester (or however the time is divided up for the kids these days) is all the civics that is going to be taught, I think they would be better served to teach practical application.

Saying that they do not believe in the power of their vote is a simple and immoral cop-out. They are simply unengaged and don't give damn about anything beyond their immediate urges, wishes, pleasures and existence. Simply put, they don't give a damn and are unwilling to commit the energy, effort, thought and emotion to make a difference.

I realize this is a me first society but that is all the more reason these people should be developing a political position.This would provide them with the power to put in place their views.

I decided prior to being eligible to vote that I didn't want to participate in the joke that is my country. It is setup to fail. A new system s the only way I'd consider participating.

What are you doing to develop this new system ?

@BobHKniola Nothing. Trying to start a new system within a group of people blindly following the old one is a lost cause. I think if my country sent out some celebratory Jim Jones special Kool-Aid mix to drink with a mass produced customized note written by a geek like me to make sure everyone drank at the same time, most would as our education system has pushed out bunches and bunches of mindless unquestioning drones. It would happen even if the drink were labeled: mm/dd/yy: A New Day!

Our education system is not producing mindless drones! Maybe that's how you view it. I am a person who is participating in this system.

Those who do nothing are the non-voters who then complain the most about the administrations that have the power to legislate laws that offend them. Voting needs to be made easier. The day of national voting should be a holiday and a tax deduction of some sort would enhance voting. We should do everything to get all of those eligible to vote to vote.

@Marblesthegreat I went through that system and was constantly told to conform, even told to be a good christian and a good patriot. That doesn't sound like a system promoting critical thought, but a system telling students what to think. The students who excel do so in spite of their curriculum.

How long ago was that? Seriously I am twelve. Modern schools are very different from in the past. Schools are also different from each other, so what we are going through could be quite different.

@Marblesthegreat Much like with business, your schooling will be highly impacted by those in charge, good or bad. As an Air Force brat, I went to a lot of different schools and had a lot of different experiences, but few were good especially after my dad was transferred to Nebraska in 1984. That year, I was told I was unpatriotic for not pledging allegiance. Apparently, that is also not a good Christian thing to do. My most influential teacher was actually a part-time public librarian who introduced me to books like The Ancestor's Tail by Richard Dawkins and Cosmos by Carl Sagan.

Many in my area felt robbed when the DNC ran Clinton despite Bernie's apparent popularity.

Zster Level 8 Nov 10, 2017

Well, as demonstrated in the last election, you can win the popular vote but it's the electoral college that ultimately chooses the winner prompting an outcry for a change to dissolve the electoral college and make the popular vote the decider of the winner.

Plus, for years now it's a popular belief that your vote really doesn't count in the end so why vote.

SamL Level 7 Nov 10, 2017

It is amazing that some school districts have eliminated civics as a class in high school.This has been true mostly in the south where they also wish to teach creationism and eliminate evolution in high school classes.

From what I understand, many believe that voting changes nothing, different people same problems. It is amazing how many in generation x believe that the government is so corrupt and cater to lobbyists and special interest groups that voting is a waste of time.

Betty Level 8 Nov 10, 2017

That is why we need to change how voting districts are established.A district should not be dominated by any party and only total votes should govern!

I'm a Gen X and you're right, at least about me.
I do believe the government is EXTREMELY corrupt and they cater to the lobbyists.
The difference is that I vote. I admit I've voted for the lesser of two evils in the past, but it's better than nothing I suppose.

From what I have seen reported it's not just young people who don't bother to vote in the US. Here in Australia voting is compulsory, so most vote, but some do deliberately vote informal so that their vote doesn't count.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:3322
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.