Agnostic.com

14 6

Widowed? Any experience?

Since I’m new here, figured I’d just throw this out there. I’m recently widowed and found it extremely hard to find any non-faith based grief support groups. Thankfully, I’m not really in need of it anymore as I seem to have got my head around my loss, but it was frustrating looking in the early days for support only to find groups in church’s. Anyone else with this experience?

Hazydays 7 Mar 6

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

14 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Although I'm late to your post, welcome, @Hazydays! I hope some of these suggestions have been helpful, particularly @VictoriaNotes recommendation, which I'm going to check out as well. It's been quite some time since I lost my husband, but I remember well the problems in finding support. Elizabeth Kubler Ross was popular at the time and I thought if one more person tried to diagnose me according to her five stages of grief, I would have slapped them. It's going to be a long process and if you ever feel you need to talk, feel free to message me, okay?

Thank you Lauren. Pardon my late response. How long has it been for you? Life after loss is so overwhelming at times.

I have suffered through just about every kind of loss exept death of a spouse. Sorry for your loss and i hope you recover well. I lost my closest cousin to ALS just over a year ago. He lived in Lantana Fl, I spent a lot of time there as a caregiver to provide some relief for his spouse who needed help dealing with the dreadful disease. I am happy to tell you that she recovered well and is in fact dating again. I live just south of Orlando and would be glad to provide support. I will PM you with contact info.

Death of your spouse is the pits. Especially after being married less than a year...but on the other hand I can’t imagine what watching your loved one slowly becoming consumed by a horrific disease must be like. Kuddos to you for being there for your cousins wife. I’m happy to hear she’s now doing well.

Funny, I just posted something that happened at My grief group that is given by the church because I couldn't find any others in my area. ( I recently lost my mom ) I just figure I would check it out anyway. I just bite my lip through all the ' GOD ' talk. If you can ignore that part it's pretty helpful and interesting to watch the whole thing play out. Gives me something to do and I really just wanted to hear their stories. Sometimes when something comes up that you don't want to do, you should try it anyway ( ? ) 🙂

That's a great attitude to have, @flowerchild62, and I'm so sorry about the loss of your mom.

The first grief group I tried was in the hospital where my husband died, and when I opened the door, it was almost like a party atmosphere. It was too much and I fled. After a while, I tried a 6-week "getting through the holidays" group at a local church and that did the trick. Not much talk of god, it was a small group, and the woman who led it never tried to sway us with platitudes. I hope you find something that gives you that kind of support.

I can sympathize. I never looked for any groups though. After the painful haze dissipated somewhat I found my way out of grief.

Curious? How long where you in a haze and how did you find your way out? I’m so uncertain of my actions, my behavior and my future decisions.

@Hazydays About 9 or 10 months I existed as a sort of automaton. Work kept me busy. Some wanted me to take time off, but work kept me together until I sought my way out. I intellectually returned to things I loved before my marriage and reconnected with friends. I would say not to make major life changes or moves until one becomes grounded again.

@CapriKious I agree. I wish I didn’t have to make a big life decision right now, but my lease is up soon and I have to make the leap in one direction or another. Hazydays indeed. Thank you for your comment.

Have had experience falling for a widower, did not end well as she walled up and shut me out of her life. Did not want to press matters and simply respected her wishes. Maybe her being almost 20 years older did not help.

Anyways, wish you and all other widowers good luck. ^_^

I do not know of course, She may have feared leaving you as she had been left, through death. My partner now, 15 years my junior, It saddens me and is the only regret that burns for me at this moment, That I will leave Her alone, what youth left to her gone.

Thanks everyone for responding. For me it’s been 9 months. I joined every online support group there was in the beginning,including GBB, but found after a while I couldn’t take the sheer volume of heartbreaking stories that I was reading and had to leave them all for my mental sanity. I found I didn’t need them as an outlet to vent, I didn’t need the support of ‘me too’, and my empathic nature just couldn’t carry the magnitude of heartache out there any longer. It was reassuring in the beginning to know I wasn’t alone. I suppose in the early days I was seeking an answer, a magic solution to take the pain away...heads up, there isn’t one😉 I quickly changed my support arena to positive psychology groups and I’ve been doing ok. Feel in a better place ‘emotionally’ than most widows on my timeline of loss, but I know my husband would want nothing less than for me to be happy, successful and productive going forward. So, I now live my life for him with an open mind and an open heart and a fire in my belly to make a difference in the world. One person at a time. Realizing the importance of everyday as tomorrow is never promised.
Sorry I didn’t respond to each person individually but I’m still learning the site as I only joined this afternoon. Thanks for listening.

I'm sorry for your loss,true love seems to be hard to find,you know that special connection where everything clicks.

Fyi you are a 80% match with me,not sure how that's determined exactly,guess god works in mysterious ways. Lol

I'm glad you're finding your way, @Hazydays!

If there's one thing I've learned about grief (whether spouses, parent, or friends) it's that there is no one way to get through it. You do what you need to do, and what feels best to you, and keep trying until you find it. That's the right way.

I'm sorry for your loss. At one point in my life I was a widower. The bottom line is that this grief and experience is different with every individual. Therefore, take as much time as you have to in order to cope and adjust. Some people also do not understand that it is sometimes necessary to talk about the deceased person even if it seems extreme to others.
I once knew a lady who lost her husband and she was in therapy over his passing. She told me the therapist once said she should shake her fist at him in spite and declare "if you had taken better care of yourself you might still be alive today." I told her that didn't set right with me. She said it didn't set right with her either and that was her last visit. "Good for you," I said. The therapist wanted her to get better but you cannot do this by berating the departed.

Being able to talk freely about my late husband for me is going to be very important going forwards. I’m not sure how many potential future partners would be ok with that. The pool gets smaller.

@Hazydays We all here are damage goods of some kind and we all may had experienced a loss somehow even if not like yours, of a more benevolent type. The right partner for you will understand you, I am learning a lot from my sister's loss and even if the death of her husband has changed my plans.... I am the lucky one... I shouldnt complain because I know he will trade places with me if he could. I am the only brother left my sister has so I don't mind putting my life on hold until she recovers hers... funny as things are 4/19 is her 61st Birthday. I wish you the very best and anything I can do to help... I am Retired, I am here a lot. Message me... Fighter!

@Hazydays Being able to talk about this bad experience freely is important to your own health and being able to go forward with you life. Sometimes others do not understand this or know what to say but each of us is different. Take as much time as you need without being pressured by others.

@DenoPenno thank you for your reply. It’s hard to know when to draw the line when talking out loud about this experience. You’re right, most people who haven’t lived it, don’t get how truly fragile we are after an experience like this. Feelings get hurt easily and knowing who you can freely open to has been a lesson learned. Putting on a brave face and an “I’m doing ok” persona is hard work sometimes.

First of all... Welcome to our little place and may you find friendship, fun, joy, happiness and more among equals in our little home. I wish you could talk to my sister that is on month 4 of her loss. She is not doing well... it was husband nr three... it was not the love of her life... barely married 5 years but she is behaving as if he was the greatest husband on earth... he wasn't. Marriage was not all that and yet... she will drive you crazy with her demeanor. They were not even on the same league. Our assumption was she just wanted to piss husband number 2 with the worst husband she could find... and she did. I didn't saw that one coming. Congratulations on finding strength to continue going on. I don't know how I will handle what you going thru. But I had prepared myself already the way I always heal. In advance, writing songs about the negatives on life... That includes a watchmaker losing his wife and fixing all clocks to work backwards trying to buy her time on earth with him. May you live a long life to find love again.

Thank you. I wish I had a creative outlet. Writing so far has helped. I am looking for an artistic outlet for release.

Yep. I was widowed in 2006 by cancer. Have stayed single since, raising our kids. The youngest graduates this year!

Religious platitudes can be terrible. I found strength in an online group, widda.org.

Sorry that you had to join the widow ranks.

Zster Level 8 Mar 6, 2018

Thank you for the suggestion and well done raising your kids as a single grieving parent. That takes courage and immense strength. I am fortunate in that I don’t have children to consider during this process, that I imagine would make the process even harder.

I'm so sorry for you loss. Like you there were no non-faith support groups and I got a lot of faith based responses, I think mainly because no one really know what to say. I met a lady by chance about a month after my husban passed. Instead of the usual resposes she offered this suggestion.

She said...cry when you feel like it, yell and scream when the urge hits you. If you want to have an all out temper tantrum then go for it and when you find yourself laughing at something, don't feel guilty, enjoy it. Just let the feeling flow over you don't surpress them and soon life will start again.

At first I just smiled and thanked her but later that evening...well...surfice it to say...I had a royal temper tantrum and when I was done I realised I felt a littel better, then surprised myself by laughing. I can't tell you the relief I felt in that moment. Things got a little better each day after that and I think of that lady with kind thoughts even though it has been seventeen years.

I hope this helps. 🙂

Betty Level 8 Mar 6, 2018

@Shelton

It really did help. All the "he's in a better place", "it's god's plan", and "he's with the lord now" just made me want to be somewhere else. For the life of me, I can't remember the lady's name but I can picture her in my mind easily. I'm glad I met her. 🙂

Thank you. Yes, I can’t control when I need to release it. It just comes out. Like a pressure cooker I just need release the steam every now and again when I feel it building up. It usually helps for a good while afterwards.

Yes. I lost my wife in 2014 and I was luck enough to have decent insurance. That allowed me to get my daughter some counseling. However, no support groups.

Sorry for your loss also. I haven’t sort out therapy yet. I don’t think I need it. I ‘think’ I’m doing ok with it and from all accounts everything I’m experiencing is normal, so I’m just going with the flow and what will be will be. Thank you for your response

Sorry for your loss. I don't have any experience with widowhood (is that a word?) but I do know what it's like to have lost loved ones and be offered "thoughts and prayers," told "he/she is in a better place," and invited to pray about it.

I know how meaningless those platitudes sound, but if it helps, remember most people who say those things are sincere in their beliefs. Or at least, they are trying to convince themselves that they believe.

JimG Level 8 Mar 6, 2018

I agree it’s been hard to swallow some of the religious references in offering comfort, but I realize it comes from a good place so I appreciate the thoughts and prayers as they come.

With widowing no, but with coping with a traumatic loss of a loved one, yes.

Losing my papa gave me severe PTSD and I'm still not really able to process my grief, but any support groups or emergency therapists I could find always spew the same sentimental garbage "he's in a better place. Look to god. God doesn't give us more than we can handle. I'm praying for you. How do you think he feels seeing you like this?" Blah blah blah. Oh and of course the guilt of "well if you really think you have PTSD why don't you meet with vets" and "have you tried getting over it?"

None of those hollow platitudes helped. What did help was actually finding a therapist who didn't use god to heal others. Meds helped. Talking with my friends helped. God? Not even a sympathy card.

No sympathy card here either, not even an acknowledgment of a desperate conversation I had with ‘it’. Trying to stay away from the meds route but they have helped with sleeping. Thanks for the info.

@Hazydays try guided meditation, especially the kind that take you to a calming place. I wish I could offer some kind of great fix all solution, but I'm just trying whatever I can.

@LadyAlyxandrea me too, just trying to find whatever will work to ease the pain, even temporarily and superficially. I’m on my 10th month and feel I’m doing OK. The waves come less and don’t last as long, but when they do hit, they hit hard but thankfully, so far, they don’t seem to last for weeks like in the beginning. I wish you peace and comfort during your down times also.

Welcome to the asylum!
I was widowed at 19. I get it. I was surrounded by people who offered nothing
else but "thoughts and prayers" and how it as all "god's will".
I moved away.

That showed a lot of wisdom on your part, @KKGator, particularly for a 19-year old!

@Lauren I really don't think it was "wisdom" to be honest. I was pretty well freaking out and just wanted to get away from everyone.

I get the wanting to move away. I wanted to leave the country. Now I’m faced with leaving our home and it’s freaking me out to lose the memories contained in these four walls of the life and home we shared together. Scared to lose that connectedness I feel here at the home we built togerher. Can’t avoid it though. Must be done.

@Hazydays You'll take the memories with you. That's the best thing about memories, they're portable. I wish you peace moving forward. I also wish you fearlessness, be bold! There is a lot of life to be lived, I hope you enjoy every moment of it!

@KKGator thank you. I’ve been trying my best. It’s been confusing at times and being bold and fearless has been something I’ve been working on. It’s not my natural personality but I’ve taken steps here and there ...hard as they were. Thank you for your encouragement.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:33328
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.