Agnostic.com

29 4

Can we talk openly about serial monogamy? I've recently started thinking that it's like getting on a plane and hoping it never crashes. And if you are a serial monogamist, what's the difference between dating someone and being exclusive? Is there a difference? And if you're *not* a serial monogamist, how exactly does that work for you? (I'm still trying to figure out dating. I'm not sure I've ever done it right.)

Nottheonlyone 7 Mar 6

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

29 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I think dating and monogamy might be the same for some people, if that’s how you do dating. But you have to assume that your relationship isn’t monogamous until you have a conversation where you’ve agreed that you are both doing that.

If I'm in a relationship, it's because I want monogamy. If I don't want monogamy, I won't be in a relationship. Nobody cares what you do if you're not in a relationship. Be upfront and honest.

Polyamory is multiple relationships.

@RavenCT just not not for me

@Livinlife I think you missed my point. Polyamory is relationships - just in multiples. I'm not suggesting you try it.

@RavenCT no problem, I get it : )

I've seen some posts on this site that seemed a bit judgmental, that implied that anyone who would even casually date more than one person at the same time must have deep seated issues, or is just flat out morally wrong.

I don't want to crash the next plane that comes along. I want to try the helicopter and hang gliding and the hot air balloon, too. And I guess that since I've never really done these things before, I'm looking for advice and validation.

personally, I prefer being with one person at a time; it gives me the opportunity to really focus on that relationship, and to learn more of the nuances that may be missed if you are dating more than one person at a time.

But, that is just me. Other things work for other people, so as long as you are open and up front about it all right out of the gate, then there should be no problem (and if there is a problem, then that person is probably not a great match anyway).

If you're looking into Polyamory or a freer lifestyle - and feel you'd be ok with that - I have no issue with it.

I think open communication between any sexual partners would be key.

Read the Anita Blake series - she's got Polyamory down to an art form. (Laurel K. Hamilton). The sex doesn't start until the 5th novel (I should know I have a friend who quit the series at that point?).

From her last dedication I'd guess she's begun to practice it as well.

@RavenCT I don't know what I'm looking for. I only know I don't want to keep repeating my history.

@Nottheonlyone I wish I knew who to get you in touch with.

There are actually Sex Counselors who know a lot about every possibility. As we know there are so many!

I had one as a Professor in college ages ago. He was a fantastic person and so knowledgeable.

It was a great education. If he were still around I'd say "Call him". But there might be one in your area? You could look at professors at nearby colleges perhaps? (He practiced and he taught - which was a great blend).

I think of it this way, when I was in my 20s and my relationships lasted less than a year, I would have called myself a serial monogamist. I was exclusive for the duration of the relationship. They lasted anywhere from 2 months to 9 months between the ages of 18 to 24 before I met my husband. And there were plenty of times I was single and not dating anyone. There was that one time I was dating two guys at once with a 3 week overlap. Kinda hot but really exhausting because the one never knew about the other until I could decide what to do with the boyfriend who threatened to commit suicide as a way to keep me from breaking up with him. After that 3 week period, I broke up with him for good. I kept the other one and eventually married him. As an aside, I found out many years later the other one ended up getting married and having a kid and had a good life without me so breaking up with him was the best thing for him. 🙂

While married, I spent a time being polyamorous. 18 years later we parted ways (and I swear it was by being with other people that kept me staying that long with him) and I've been monogamous for about 4 years with my current partner. Not because I don't want others, but because I haven't found any others I felt strongly compelled to bed. I did, however, make some new poly friends which has been wonderful.

I consider myself still emotionally poly though, as I have some deep love and affection for my male friends, even if I don't sleep with them. It's been very wonderful and I love not having to limit how I express my love for anyone just because I'm in a relationship.

When you were poly and married for those 18yrs, were those openly discussed relationships, or hidden? I admire those who can do poly as its supposed to be done with no games or dishonesty!

@Highway-Starr to be completely honest, both. Throughout the marriage, my husband had a binge drinking problem. Part of how I coped with him drinking to the point of puking and passing out was by leading a double life. It wasn't right but I didn't know what else to do. He wasn't going for help and when I begged him to stop, he just wouldn't. One time he passed out in front of the toilet after puking. Another time he left me on a street in Chicago when I demanded him to let me out of the car because he had been drinking and he was road ragey. Then he proceeded to get lost and a friend of ours had to come pick me up.

I was in pain about his behavior and my friends helped me forget how awful those experiences were.

He refused to get help and I should have left him but I didn't know how. I loved him. I had two short affairs in those early years. But my second lover ended breaking my heart and so I spent about 10 years being faithful and all the while my husband kept on binge drinking and puking. Like out the car window after a Halloween party. We got home and there was a long vomit streak along the car. Or another time when he missed the toilet at his friends house and puked on his wall.

Then I met someone who I wanted to be with that didn't want to be hidden. So I had a lot of long, hard conversations about what had happened in the early years, knowing it could break my marriage apart. But I couldn't go forward in my life continuing to be dishonest. Rather than leaving me, he agreed to give me freedom to have an open marriage. We both took on other relationships.

But his binge drinking never stopped. He didn't come home one night because he got a DUI. Then the following year he threatened suicide in front of me with a gun (not the first time but the most significant time as trying to talk him down from the edge gave me PTSD).

He still wouldn't go for help. I had therapy, went to al-anon and ACA and stopped asking him to stop drinking. We divorced, then he ended up getting the help he needed by going into ACA (no, never AA because he can't give up drinking).

Having done both - straight up cheating and being ethically poly, I definitely prefer the honest route.

My arrangement now with my partner (my last lover when I was still married) is open. But having set this up from the beginning, I really haven't found anyone I wanted to sleep with. I went on a lot of lovely friend dates though, with openly poly men (I won't date men who just want to cheat on their partners).

@Sciencemama We devise our own coping skills, don't we? Unfortunately, when we get finished drinking...drugging...cheating or any other avoidance behavior, the problem is still there. Your current arrangement must be comforting though...just in case you would like to proceed, you don't have to go through the mental gymnastics required to 'cheat'.

I was married to a flight attendant at one time. I understood what the scene was, and told her look...if there is somebody you just have to have, go ahead. I would rather you do that then destroy the entire relationship to be with somebody for a roll in the hay. Don't know if that was a good move or not!

@Highway-Starr Going to therapy and Adult Children of Alcoholics meetings helped me figure out better coping mechanisms as well as how to make better choices. My therapist was supportive and shared with me some resources about conscious sexuality and ethical polyamory and some others and had me read Carl Rogers Marriage and its alternatives. Good stuff there.

Now I go out more on friend dates these days. Kisses and cuddling but not really needing to cross into a sexual relationship with anyone. But yes it's good to know I can. And maybe that's why I take it real slow. Plenty of time to get to know someone first. No need to rush.

I did the polyamorous thing once and it left me with severe scars. Not ever going that route again. At all. Ever.

For me dating isnt a relationship until you've agreed you're in a relationship. I dated this guy and by that I mean we went on dates. Super great guy, lots of fun on the dates but about date 5 we decided to talk about where this was headed. In the end we both decided mutually we just made excellent friends and neither of us felt anything besides cousin-like comadre. It was a good idea to talk about it, because we were both stressing on how to tell the other that there was no real romantic feelings

Everyone is different.... what ever toots your horn as long as you're honest about it ..

You're wants are what's important. If you want to date multiple people until you decide what you want I think that's the whole point of dating. One or two dates doesn't change your relationship status. Set your own rules around what you want and need just let the other people involved know what the rules are.

Thank you. This is what I've been wanting to hear.

I date an infinite number of women at one time because I exist in a multiverse.

I'm tired.

You're not the only one. I think it might be healthier to not be monogamous but not sure if I could do it. Too many years of seeking and engaging in monogamy. I hope you can figure out what's best for you. If you feel comfortable I would be very interested in your experiences. Maybe I could learn something and even change my perspective.

I don't think there is one definition of 'doing it 'right' '; it's about doing what works for you, and experimenting, trying things to see what works and what doesn't. Only when you find someone who's 'right' lines up with yours should you even consider exclusivity, IMHO.

I think if you are dating, quote unquote, you are not sleeping with them. If you are not sleeping with them then you don't owe anyone monogamy. Exclusivity , I think, is where you are having sex and agree not to see others romantically, but does not necessarily imply a permanent commitment. Maybe.

Damn!!! You mean I had a choice? 😉 one at a time has always been plenty for me. I don't think dating has a 'right way" if everyone's being upfront and no ones getting hurt then its ok

I do not feel there is a difference between monogamy and exclusivity. Either way you and one other person have agreed to not mash genitals or lips with anyone else.

I have been in a open relationship a few times and never seems to work. It was fun and games for them until I mentioned there was someone else I was going to see.

Someone's feelings always seem to get hurt despite open, truthful communication. More often then not it seems someone hides things to not hurt the others feelings. It requires a great deal of trust, comfort and communication on both ends.

Is there such a thing as right? We focus too much on social constructs. The truth is dating and relationships are just a big roll of the dice. You win some and you lose some. If you get really lucky one day you may hit the perfect roll and stop playing. I like this analogy because the law of averages proves that I can't crap out forever right??

I know there's such a thing as wrong...

I think that I'm just monogamist. Meaning that I married and have never fully detached from that relationship even though it hasn't been very good for me. I think it must be programed into my genes.

I have seen friends and aquatances fall in love, get married and then get divoriced all in the time that I'm ambivalent about leaving my marriage... in some ways, even though part of me seeks it, I can't comprehend being married to someone else.

I consider myself a serial monogamist. I think if you bring any imagination to the table there's no need to be intimate with more than one person. That coupled with how complex we are makes the idea of pursuing multiple sexual relationships seem lazy to me. But I've a long track record of being wrong so hey, time will tell.

So, being monogamous implies being sexually active?

Speaking for myself, a poly person, it's wasn't a lack of sexual imagination that made me be intimate with more than one at a time. And it wasn't about a need to actively pursue multiple sexual relationships. I had a rich sexual life with my husband.

I just ended up falling in love with more than one person at a time. I developed strong feelings for my male friends and I didn't want to limit how I was going to express those feelings for them. Usually it was just cuddles and kisses, but sometimes it ended up being more.

I suppose, for some people who practice non-monogamy, it is all about having sex with as many as possible, but for me, it was a deep emotional connection and affection that led to physical intimacy.

It's about loving more, whether or not sex is involved.

I didn't "need" sex with more than one man at one time. But it sure was a beautiful when it did happen.

Nowadays I'm sexually monogamous with my partner, but I LOVE LOVE LOVE dating and he's let me. It's been working out splendidly because I get to meet so many wonderful men, have some great conversations, go on some fun adventures out in the world, and come home to my partner. It's been a really grand arrangement.

@Nottheonlyone I am serial celibate.

Doesn't it? It does to me. Unless one is asexual.

This is part of why I'm asking. I really am just trying to figure it all out.

@CallMeDave May your fate change soon!

Monogamy refers to being sexually EXCLUSIVE with one partner, bound with that agreement. I’m pretty sure the dictionary definition means sexually active, but what’s undeniable about that definition is that, during the period of the relationship, you can’t engage in sex or marriage with a different person - without violating the agreement...

But if the two of you agree to not have sex with each other, l’m don’t see how that would that would be a monogamous RELATIONSHIP.

You can agree not to have sex with your mother/father, sister/brother, but who would call that a monogamous relationship?

Even if I know the end is eventually coming, I want to enjoy the meantime with at least the illusion of true love. I've never found myself lusting after multiple people at the same time. I won't want to spend our time together feeling sick because he's running around with other people. I don't believe in forever, but I have high standards for right-now.

I am curious about this as well. I am divorced and deciding how I should approach relationships going forward.

My guess is the difference is serial monogamy doesn't have as much intention for longevity, as say dating someone for potential marriage. Forming a bonding and intimate relationship with another is still very valuable, but with the understanding that it will likely run its course.

I could be wrong though.

Monogamy is a boa constrictor to me. I was married to a monogamist and I hated it but thought that's what everybody does so I did it but basically she was just a dependent I had to pay for, entertain, listen to without ever having an opinion of my own and answer to. I got the honor of going to work and bringing my paycheck home and giving it to her so she could spend it any way she wanted. When she got a job her paycheck was her paycheck and mine was our paycheck. Man I grew to hate that bitch. Then I come to find out most women are just like her. So no way am I going to play monogamy again. I date several women now and have for many years and they know about each other and they know I'm never getting married again. When a woman asks me out on a date now and I want to go on a second date I tell them how I live my life. If they don't want to go on a second date thats up to them. There are too many women that are happy to go out to dinner and get laid and go home to waste time on women who's sole mission is to "get a man" to pay the bills, provide a house, food, vehicle, be a stand up comedian, a never speaking therapist to listen to never ending whining about how bad her life is, to fill the dishwasher correctly and vacuum the floors so she "might" put out. F that. I also insist they keep their own men or women friends.

Funny, my husband was unemployed for four years and I was the one who paid all the bills. He never lifted a finger to help with anything, maxed out our credit card, and wouldn't give me any attention, sexual or otherwise. But I don't blame monogamy.

(And that was the last four years of our marriage. The other eleven weren't exactly idyllic, either.)

First, I validate your feelings. Dating at "our age" must be absolutely mind-boggling. (yes, I'm way older, but still, we aren't kids) I think you are saying you want to "date around." That isn't the same as sleeping around. Although, I am not saying that'd be wrong.

Where is it written you can only be interested in one person at a time? See who you want, when you want. Do what feels good. No one owns you and you don't owe anyone your total attention and devotion.

However ... that's my view and I'm not sure everyone shares it. It seems most people think you should only date one person at a time, which makes no sense. How big is your town? If you date Pat on Friday night, but go out with Sam on Saturday, will it get back to Pat. (Androgynous names used on purpose. Couldn't remember your profile.)

Big enough that I can do what I want, as soon as I figure out what that is. And yes, I am saying I'd like to date around. I'm not doing it, but I'm considering it.

@Nottheonlyone Like I said. What's the big deal? Why is it anyone's business who you see and under what circumstances. I always thought dating was about doing fun stuff with someone. Maybe over time you are doing fun stuff with only one person. I say go for it. But, I am definitely basing this on what I would do if given the chance.

@phil21 I think sometimes I forget it's supposed to be fun. Then again, I've been avoiding it for some time now. So it's lots of things. Scary, exciting, scary, fun, scary... Did I mention scary?

@Nottheonlyone I am sensing a recurring theme. Hmmmm. Do you think it's scary? I know, I'm a freaking genius sometimes.
OK, I'd be scared, too, I think. What makes you scared? That they will think you are dumb or unattractive? That you will develop feeling and they won't be returned? That they will develop feeling you can't return. Nudity?
You are a tough cookie. You've been through a bunch. I can't say it could never get worse, because life is strange.
So in conclusion, get the FMPs on and go get some.

@phil21 Maybe that I'll like them too much, or that they will suddenly turn creepy in the middle of a date... or even worse possibilities that I don't care to mention. I don't know. The unknown? And what's an FMP?

@phil21 Never mind, I Googled it. 😀

@Nottheonlyone Despite dateline and 48 hours, I don't think there are that many violent weirdos out there. Regular weirdos, yes.

I'm not a serial monogamist. When I am with someone, I am completely there with that person.

If you're curious, check out [morethantwo.com]

Thank you. I'm hanging on to this for later. I don't know what my future holds, but learning about all the options is a good start.

I consider I have been a serial monogamist, not by choice, just a string of relationships that didn't last very long. When I am in a relationship, (to date) I have been only with that one person. Relatuionship dies, I move on/

So it's not working for you, either, huh? 🙂

@Nottheonlyone sadly, nope.

Ideally id like a women as mostly a friend but with benefits who has her own home, life but with honesty and some mutuel ground rules. being a very sexuel person I would look at every possibillity as an opertunity as im also human. I still want honesty if it was a one off thing.

Uncommitted relationships are the only way to travel. Makes for more interesting times and things to talk about and really learn about one another. I noticed in the last few years couples who had families and were never married until they came to the conclusion that it was just a piece of paper that had nothing to do with the relationship. Religious People see it as more profit and then people would go to church not because of thier religious beliefs but because of the particular person or type of service. Drugs have brought a lot of other experiences of a more positive nature as a more accepting feeling of being spiritual, mystic, psychic, or far out.

Uncommitted relationships are the only way to travel. Makes for more interesting times and things to talk about and really learn about one another. I noticed in the last few years couples who had families and were never married until they came to the conclusion that it was just a piece of paper that had nothing to do with the relationship. Religious People see it as more profit and then people would go to church not because of thier religious beliefs but because of the particular person or type of service. Drugs have brought a lot of other experiences of a more positive nature as a more accepting feeling of being spiritual, mystic, psychic, or far out.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:33419
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.