Agnostic.com

30 3

Are you a night owl, a morning person, or both?

I absolutely Love mornings, but I'm usually up until 3-4am. I get very little sleep in between.

• 14 votes
  • 29 votes
  • 28 votes
ashortbeauty 8 Mar 7

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

30 comments (26 - 30)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I'm up before dawn, full of energy, and I don't drink coffee. Or eat meat or processed food, so that's probably why.

Although your habits likely impact your energy levels, chances are it wouldn't matter what you ate or drank, you would still wake up bright and early. Our natural sleep cycle (circadian rhythm) is pretty well set in our bodies from an early age, maybe birth. They are not readily changed and studies have shown that even among people who have undergone intense "retraining" to teach themselves to sleep and wake on "more normal" schedules, a majority will have lapses back into their old habits within 6 months.

I struggled with it for decades, spending much of my life operating on 4-6 hours of sleep a night. Still, I would be going strong at midnight. I chose to believe the theory that in the evolutionary process it paid off for some members of a clan/tribe to be biologically predisposed to being more alert during the night as they would be better equipped to keep watch while the rest of the group slept. They could then rest while others were up and about, thus security for the group was insured.

In modern society, these evolutionary holdovers don't provide any big advantage to the "group" and may prove a disadvantage to the individual. They are what they are though and for some of us adapting is the best we can do. Working night shifts, slipping in naps during lunch and after work, catching up a little on weekends, all ways of dealing with CRSD (Circadian Rhythm Sleep Disorder) but beware "retirement" . I am now on a fairly regular schedule of sleeping between 3 and 11 AM nightly (daily??).

Night owl for sure. It's nearly 8am and I'm about to go to bed.

d_day Level 7 Mar 7, 2018

It really depends on the quality of the lover as to whether I'm a night, morning or both. Both is especially delicious. 😀

In the old days, I was a night owl, but I find my energy is greater in the am and slooooly winds down in the evening. However, I've found if there's something to stay up for, my enthusiasm and energy is there and the turbo kicks in!

Night or day after I get a full 8 hours, I usually stay awake 1.5 days straight.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:33539
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.