Agnostic.com

12 14

The "Force" Behind Hope and Faith

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, and the evidence of things not seen." Hebrews 11:1

Wait for it.

VictoriaNotes 9 Mar 7

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

12 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I really like this guy. I have since finding Him on the youztubez several years ago. 🙂

yes, humans are uniquely gullible, & i am glad to have learned how to keep getting pummeled by flooding & ebbing hormones to a minimum; i have neither belief nor faith, & i am very cautious around hope & expectation. thank you for posting this affirmative video.

I remember biology teachers explaining and disparaging how insects communicate with chemicals. How flimsy dominion is considering religion is a byproduct of such. We are so interconnected on this space rock. Great post Victoria!

jeffy Level 7 Mar 7, 2018

The dope part was correct and now they will try to influence the laws while trumpie is in office.

Great video, and thought provoking. I have some things to mull over about the implications of dopamine coming from anticipation rather than reward, because my anticipatory response is rather muted. (The end of the clip was priceless, too. It's very telling as to why religion maintains such a strong grip on people — and because my anticipation tends to be reduced in other ways, I wonder if that's part of the reason I was able to pull away from faith while some of my friends never could, despite having many of the same doubts. Hmm...)

Fascinating and so relevant. Explains the optimist to someone like me who is becoming more pessimistic with each passing day. I see what is and have no hope for things to come.

That is crazy interesting. It goes to show how easy it is to manipulate people.

@VictoriaNotes That is mind-blowingly true, and the terrible truth is that it works on almost all of us, religious or not.

Excellent video. I guess this means that the members of the site are not monkeys?

The message I got from the portion of the video right up to when he switched to religion is:
Being a tease is a good thing.

I thought that same thing. How can I romantically use this to improve my love life?

OMGosh. I know this guy (actually not know but years ago I took a video course on the workings of the brain and he was the presenter - sans beard). As soon as I heard his voice I recognized him.

Yes, yes it's all about chemicals. I always wonder when people say God loves you or god is angry or jealous or whatever, if said God works through chemical interactions like us?? Isn't a god supposed to transcend mortal workings and basic drives?

I don't see us as unique. More and more we are finding other species also have advanced forms of intelligence. Our ignorance of how the world works does not mean we are at the top. We are just different, maybe!

BTW Victoria, It did happen and here is one link. This is the prime publication of the area and the other 2 also had a write-up. [sanjuanjournal.com]

Its desperation

Yes!!

Poor Saint Sebastien, tied to a tree shot at and then clubbed to death? And they say we are overly violent Society...

We are a violent species.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:33629
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.