Agnostic.com

12 6

How do you add beauty to your life?

Flowers delight me. They always make me smile.

I chose vibrant colors for the south-facing deck. Pastel flowers looked blah in the store.

"Your pastel flowers are exquisite," I tell Billie admiringly. She can grow lovely Martha Washington geraniums on the north side of the house.

Wish I could. But Martha Washington geraniums would burn to a crisp in hot sun.

When it gets over 90 degrees, the plants would boil in the pots. So I put them in the hospital. I shade the flowerpots with a stretched, white, flannel sheet until September.

In the shade, the flowers stop blooming. When it cools down in September, I gradually acclimate the plants to the sun. Fertilized, they bloom vigorously until late November.

It pains me to kill flowering plants. When it's time to decorate for Thanksgiving, out they go.

Martha Washington geraniums:

[images.search.yahoo.com]

LiterateHiker 9 Apr 24

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

12 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I use crazy colours to have fun with my hair, an obvious thing to do as you age and your hair turns white making colouring a simple task. I love that it fades quite quickly to subtle pastel shades adding a seasonal(ish) quality to my blooming.

Moi!

By Having a positive fresh non judgemantal mind set to look at

Have a look at hydroponics, or aquaponics - it can be easy to set up a system. Usually used for lettuce and similar, but no reason you could not use the system for flowers

Look in the mirror! ?

In LOTS of ways! I add a lot of color around the home, a vibrant clash of rainbow hues. I adorn myself with my fave colors and a touch of shine/iridescence/sparkle. I add fragrance to myself and my home, from natural flowers to spicy incense. I feed the birds, drawing their colors, songs, and antics to my windows. I share my home, indoors and outdoors, with an assortment of interesting plants. I incorporate unusual flavors in my cuisine. I try to listen to music every day... etc.

Zster Level 8 Apr 24, 2019

Stare into the mirror

Flower!! I'm doing some wild flower seeds in pots on my deck this year.

I actually have a landscape maintenance company so I'm of course really into making my yard beautiful and I have my little tiny yard and I am slowly and surely bring in lots of beautiful flowers I just got a Trillium the other day and planted it in the shade on the west side of my house and made my sister very jealous cuz she loves trilliums and she's never gotten one to grow it's kind of slow though because I don't buy plants I actually make all my plants I work in other people's yards and take cuttings and root clones and I grow all my plants from scratch a wonderful fun and economical way to do it but it takes a lot of time

wow! Lovely and economical! I have a wooded lot and love to explore to find trilliums and may apples...this time of year, nature reveals all of her beauty...

I generally do not "add" beauty.
I just dig whatever is outside, while it's out there.

I call her up, ask her out on a date...

(Sorry; couldn’t resist...)

By eliminating clutter. As a minimalist, an almost stark-and-sterile environment leaves room for my mind to envision all of the beauty I need.

Natural beauty is not clutter if it brings visual joy to those with less imagination and in need of more tangible manifestations of beauty. While I admire your ability to remove distractions, I know you must have an appreciation of the many examples of joy surrounding us in nature every day...as long as it stays outside? ha

@thinktwice Exactly.

@Mitch07102 ha ha..there are plenty of flowers along the sidewalk out front...enjoy those...

@thinktwice

I agree.

Interesting, I am the complete (well mostly) opposite. I need clutter to stimulate me and also express my personality.
I often get invited to visit collectors I do not know and love to see the same glass in minimalist, manically cluttered (I am not so extreme) and every shade in between. It gives a healthy perspective of different ways of being. It also shows how art, apart from social commentary, can bridge vastly different personalities providing a common ground for understanding - a joint appreciation (although I an usually invited to give subjective assessment and confirmations) that transcends the usual social judgements that can prevent people communicating at remarkably deep levels.
Also interesting is that minimalist art is collected across a wide spectrum of personalities and while the more extreme minimalists restrict their art to minimalist works, many minimalists also include 'cluttered' art. But seeing a minimalist work in a cluttered environment works just as well.

Beautiful! I am also attracted to bright, vibrant colors...can't wait until it gets warmer so i can have flowers in my life...they are a small joy that makes life much more pleasant each day!

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:336696
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.