Agnostic.com

4 0

Is our universe flat or curved ?

If Einstein figured that space is curved and large bodies warping space time thus gravity and there is Euclidean geometry which states that the lines will never converge but form a triangle but is considered flat who was right; and is our universe really finite if it appears to be infinite in 360 degrees.

AJimboShep82 7 Apr 24

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

4 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

It’s a learning thing and I asked was it correct? My mind may not know the math however it will not stop my mind from learning it.

It was Reimann (sp?) who threw out the Euclidian axiom that parallel lines can never meet and set the stage for Einstein's fourth dimension. In idealized math we frequently ignore circumstances that don't affect the matter at hand. When you draw a square on a piece of paper it is counterproductive to account for the thickness of the ink or the inconsistencies of the paper even though we know they exist and when we scale another dimension to form a cube we still ignore it. So it is always curved but until and unless we need to account for the curvature treating it as flat gives the best result. (There is also the issue of whether curved space is flat in dimensions higher than four which opens a new can of worms)

Slight addenda, a straight line is a curved line where the value of the curve is 0 or when graphed the line has a one to one value

It gets even more complicated and mind boggling when you add in the up to 13 dimensions of string theory.

If string theory is even accurate

@AJimboShep82 Some of Einstein's predictions were nto proved until fairly recently. i doubt we will see any proof in our lifetimes.

First you have to figure out an experiement that coudl prove a theory. This is even more difficult when you are delign with deensions which we are unable to detect directly

Provign Einstein was hard, and when he first published his theory most of the scientific community mocked him. If string theory can be proved, I imagine much of hte same thigns will occur.

So they are both correct than ( for me it’s a learning thing , I love learning new things ) my mind is absolutely thirsty for knowledge and it seems to go batshit when I start thinking creatively than it’s a beast.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:336748
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.