Agnostic.com

17 3

QUESTION Vatican trains exorcists as demonic possession claims rise

Palilla told Vatican Radio that there are 500,000 alleged cases of demonic possession or activity in Italy annually.

He said demonic possession claims have tripled in recent years and attributed the rise in demonic activity to an increased use of fortune tellers and tarot cards.

He also said that many alleged possessions are actually psychological issues, highlighting the need for well-trained and discerning exorcists.

zblaze 7 Mar 7

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

17 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

This is very scary. There is a direct corrilation historically between "demonology" and increased religiousity. Remeber the 80s "Satanic Panic." When times roll around that there are less claims of Demononic possession there is simply less interest or dependance on the churh, I'm not even going tolook this one up. I would bank on the fact that most of these claims come from third world countries were there is not internet access and religion is on the rise.

Interestingly the more cultures become religious the more they tend to "notice" demons. So there is a great truth to the saying that "People create thair own demons".

Anything to get people's mind off of the problem of pedophilia and massive cover ups. Does anyone know of "Black Collar" crime? A majority of the perpetrators are Catholics.

[ffrf.org]

Good old Kyle summed up my thoughts nicely when I heard about this silliness

Thanks for posting.

The point really is, and I've made this before, is that behind this Pope's used car salesman's smile and charm, the same old crap goes on in the Catholic Church, behind the scenes, at ground level,particularly in developing countries, the church continues to pursue its archaic policies. That includes dealing with anyone foolish enough in the church to be progressive. The Pope is not a reformist but a spin doctor, and the media fall for it. I read about the subject of this post, and the Pope is quite supportive of it.

Well-trained and discerning exorcists? Now there's an oxymoron.

Do they provide OJT?

godef Level 7 Mar 7, 2018

Send one to Washington.

Of course, the devil made them do it. UGH mental health, not exorcism is the way to help people. Ridiculous that we even have to say that at this point.

Sounds like this would make a good film

Ecclisiastical Ghostbusters

On another note mental health services on the decline .....

Wow-the Exorcist is back.

When will the society, as a whole, actually grow up, and understand that there are no such things as demons...or gods...
Only little children should behave as such....when play acting.

Some good may come of this. Italy is Catholic country and it's likely that a significant percentage of the population would mistake signs of mental health issues for possession and turn to an exocist rather than a doctor if a family member begins show symptoms. If that exorcist is able to spot those symptoms and recommend medical help instead of mumbo-jumbo, then some people might actually get the help they need.

It'd be better if the church and establishment recognised that all cases of possession are either medical issues or fakery, of course, but it's a start.

Jnei Level 8 Mar 7, 2018

If I were to roll my eyes any harder, I'd probably trigger a migraine.

It's a load of bollocks, built on a load of bollocks, maintain than more bollocks can solve the intial bollocks.

We need more neuroscientists, not christain voodoo witch doctors. I wonder if this could be false reporting in an attempt to bring religion back stronger in the spotlight. Religion is on the downhill popularity wise, why not report a ton of possessions to ensure people stay on the bandwagon? If the reports are accurate however, I really hope they get the help they need.

The power of christ compels me to demand a third party double blind survey to substantiate the claims made in this article.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:33721
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.