Agnostic.com

11 2

Washington set to be the first state to allow the composting of human bodies.

It’s a lovely idea for the dead to be returned to the land. But are the living ready for that?

Just the idea of composting bodies has been met with pushback. In 2015, a New York Times piece about what was then called the Urban Death Project included comments from the project’s website.

One read: “This MUST be a joke. If not, there’s only one word which could possibly describe your activities: SICK.”

Another: “A pile of bodies is usually called a ‘mass grave.’ Please stop what you’re doing.”

Your thoughts?

[slate.com]

LiterateHiker 9 Apr 27

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

11 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I've giving my daughter instructions, when I die donate me to anyone who wants me.

They do "natural" burials in California, where you are wrapped in a cotton shroud and placed in the earth. No embalming, no soil liner (that I know of). So I guess that is a type of "composting" since you just, well, "leech" back into the earth. I'm all for it.

When I die, my body is a piece of shit. Put it in the trash.

My first thought was to be cremated, but I'm not so sure I want to be exhausted across the atmosphere.

I always thought cemeteries take up too much space, and if the graves are maintained in perpetuity could gobble up all surface land eventually. Don't want to tie up land that is perfectly useful.

One approach that I liked a little better was that of traditional graveyards in places like Greece where the village set aside enough land for the dead of about 200 years; after the dead were lost to living memory their remains were exhumed and put out to sea.

My most recent thought is to skip the graveyard altogether and be buried at sea. US law approves as long as the burial is at least 3 miles from shore and in at least 600 feet of water. Personally, I'd like to be dropped in a nice little patch of abyss under a few miles of water, in a nice stout canvas bag decorated with a few choice symbols from my life, weighed down with old bicycle parts. Sooner or later (probably much later) I would return to the elements.

Times are changing for sure ,some pllaces bury there dead in catacombs until body decomposes to bones only and then the bones a re picked up and stacked in neat miles reducing the amount of space required,,was in Austria many years ago and was at a seaside place where this was done in the pasr

Some parts of Madagascar the custom is not merely to leave the dead in crypts, but also to periodically remove the bones, wrap them in new fabric and dance with them. A rare connection with the dead.

Cremation

Woodland burial has become quite commonplace in the UK., which is quite similar, since you are buried in a shallow grave in biodegradable material and a tree is planted over you, to use your nutrients

That is just exploitive capitalism at work. Cost three arms and four legs... but if you dnate your body tp feed the planet your relatives should at least be paid.

Living in Arkansas wilderness, I would like to be rolled over the back hill and fed to the coyotes and picked clean by the buzzards.. Truest recycling i can think of. Nothing required.

I think this is a great idea. I would go even less energy intense, just put me in an all natural, non-toxic, container (like a basic wooden box, pressed cardboard, or some sort of wrap) and just lower me into the ground. I will return to where I came from and the cycle continues.....

I am fine with this. My brother and sister-in-law are donating their bodies to the local University to be used for their forensic classes. They place you, fully clothed, in an area the University owns outside of town, and the students study the bodies at different stages of decomposition. I am thinking of doing the same.

Ok why not

bobwjr Level 10 Apr 28, 2019
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:338347
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.