Agnostic.com

11 1

What's your inspiration?

I can't help it. When I hear people say something like "Help me, Jesus" or "thank you, Jesus" it gets on my last nerve.

I've been through a lot in my life, but it feels like the hardest thing I've ever had to take was my divorce. It wasn't a broken heart that threw me. It was losing the life I had fought so hard for. I've faced illness and loss before, but this was different. I find that I get inspiration by watching people who have overcome adversity and been successful, or by watching strong people achieve more. I don't think I've ever watched sports this much in my life.

Where do you draw inspiration to do more or be better? Always striving to improve has always been important to me, but now it feels like a life saver.

AuntieMame 6 Mar 7

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

11 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I used to find it in helping others. Spontaneous good deeds, making people feel comfortable. Can't find motivation anymore

A little late to the party here, but this is a good question. I can't say there is anything I draw on or tap into, necessarily for inspiration. I certainly have had some downs in my life, but never felt compelled to pray for help. I just persevered, survived, carried on. I operate from a base of self-sufficiency, not wanting to be anyone's burden, ever.

I think I lost my early life round about 15 years old when I left an abusive home and went to live with a boyfriend - that probably gave me some confidence and I love learning new skills
I mainly diddle with this and that I, have many craft skills and implements, sometimes I teach other people if they want to make something and don't know how - In another life I was a plasterer in a workers co-operative and later got together with a joiner, we made a good team.
I have lived a full and interesting life and at 70ish am beginning to slow down and write things here ;and just do whatever I wish -poor health is a bit of a pesky downside - but so far so good.

the sun and then my wife [or should that be the other way round on international womens day?]

I love to look at pictures of baby animals doing silly things... that inspires me. Trees inspire me too. I don't know what it is about them: that they live so long, that they dig deep into the earth and reach up into the sky, and move with the current around them. And Beethoven. His passion, his love of music, and his inspiration inspires me.

I strive for mediocrity. Much less pressure.

One of the best books I've ever read on the subject of grieving is: “It’s Okay that You’re not Okay” by Megan Devine. What I like most about the book is that it doesn’t try to cover over the grief, or insist that you “get over it. It’s about how important it is to allow yourself to grieve, to face the loss, while at the same time moving forward into a life that’s pretty different than the one you just came from. It’s about accepting that good things and horrible things occupy the same space: they don’t cancel each other out. And learning to recognize those things teaches us how to find balance in our lives.
[amazon.com]

I have friends who've overcome horrendous backgrounds, and/or have worked to overcome physical or emotional setbacks, and have found hope and joy in their lives. They inspire me all the time about what's possible.

I grew up in a place and time where I knew a lot of post World War 2 Holocaust Survivors. By the time I was 3 years old I knew what the numbers tattooed on their arms meant. My best friend in elementary schools parents met in the refugee camps for Holocaust Survivors after the war.

These people not only lost everything, but witnessed death everyday, and brutality and disease constantly. In modern times one could not think of a worse situation. Yet, these people were able to put it behind them and put together their lives and find a way back to the world that we take for granted.

Whenever I face any difficulty in life, I think that if these people could put their lives back together with everything they faced what I am facing is nothing. The survivors of the Holocaust have provided the inspiration necessary for me to put any difficulties in perspective.

and to think that evil still happens today in the 21st century. there was a very good poster at a peace parade it said " Stop killing people you f---ing tw ts"

I am getting a lot of "thank you Jesus" in my vicinity lately, it is really pissing me off,

your name is jesus ?

@markdevenish I could almost think so. It is only the past year I have heard people say this out loud.

My inspiration is the desire I witness in those people who care more for others and the great world than they do themselves; they inspire me to work to make the world a better place.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:33973
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.