Agnostic.com

31 25

LINK Against cheerfulness: Practising the Greek virtues of wisdom and courage is one thing. But being cheerful the American way borders on psychosis

This is an excellent read (IMO) and exemplifies why I don't get into alot of the well-meaning "inspirational" memes (often posted here). As noted in the article, vulnerability is a risk and a gift. I have the utmost respect for people who risk vulnerability. Their authenticity shines through and I feel a connection with them.

Some excerpts:

Cheerfulness advocates still find virtue in this charade. America’s unchecked faith in cheer abounds in our proverbs: ‘You catch more flies with honey,’ ‘Think happy thoughts,’ ‘Life is good,’ ‘Don’t worry, be happy,’ and ‘Laughter is the best medicine’ are all cheer-filled variations on Baden-Powell’s theme of forced bright-sidedness.

Cheerfulness conceived as a virtue instead of a spontaneous feeling is a pretense. It’s not an action but it is an act. Whistling while you work might be worth defending, but forcing yourself to smile when you don’t feel like it amounts to lying to the people around you.

Fake it till you make it’ has brutal consequences when applied to the emotions. When conceived as the attempt to trick others into thinking that you feel cheery, cheerfulness is far from a virtue. It’s a vice. It falls on the deficiency end of the spectrum of trust.

Forced cheerfulness is a denial of life. All experiences taste different, and if we force a smile through the sour ones, we are not living honestly.

We might want to lock out certain people from our fragile hearts, but cheerfulness is an equal-opportunity vice; it keeps even my loved ones out of reach. Whoever gets our cheery selves does not get our true selves.

[snip]

Giving up a commitment to cheerfulness would mean risking judgment for being ordinary, human, mortal. If, however, we could learn to share in the misery of others without trying to cheer them up and send them packing, and if they could do the same for us, then we’d have a shot at true fraternity, the kind that Aristotle prescribed when he said we should live with our friends.

Profound human connection and communion – in other words, love – has no use for forced cheer, and is often sabotaged by false faces. If we want to love better and seek true happiness and friendship, it’s time to cultivate honesty instead of cheer."

VictoriaNotes 9 May 4

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

31 comments (26 - 31)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Have a nice day 🙂

Absolutely right from my viewpoint. None of the Greeks or Romans get into ‘cheerfulness’. It’s not a psychological condition more pathological borne of its unattainable rhetoric!

I love the British orphan analogy. Grit and determination, yes! Happy clappy, Kiplingesque neurosis, no.

Cheerfulness, although a genuine response to good feeling, (probably dopamine related) cuts to the core of delusion if it is fabricated. And generally we feel the insincerity and are repelled by it.

I find being cheerful way easier than miserable. When I was working and something would piss me off it rarely lasted very long. All I had to do was see a cute kid, a funny puppy, something to make me laugh. Then the evil spell would be broken and the mood lifted. Nowadays, since I’m retired, my own pup serves the purpose of keeping me laughing. I make every effort to avoid those things that cause me grief. It works for me.

Hmm, another side of you I did not know.

@VictoriaNotes Neither, just an observation on some of our earlier conversations.

What and how you think you shall attract.

I don’t really think my thoughts somehow attract stuff like a magnet. I think a person intentionally gravitates towards what they are intending, making choices along the way. There are always going to be both negative and positive personalities in the vicinity, it is how I react that determines what happens next.

There's nothing wrong on being positive and optimistic, all extremes are harmful.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:342009
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.