Agnostic.com

8 17

Camas Meadows: Searching for Anemones

My elderly friend Billie has a master degree in biology. She loves Oregon Blue Anemones. For years, I have taken Billie up to Ski Hill in Leavenworth to find anemone flowers. We found a few there in the past.

"At Camas Meadows, I saw thousands of anemones!" my hiking partner Karen texted last week. Where? "By the road."

Worried anemones would be dried up, Billie and I headed to nearby Camas Meadows today. The meadow was surprisingly dry in the heat. No anemone flowers.

"We need to gain elevation," I told Billie. "Let's take this road that parallels Camas Meadows," I suggested. "I believe it goes uphill. That's the direction we go to climb ridges."

Viola! Hundreds of Oregon Blue Anemones blooming in filtered shade. It was beautiful.

Now we know where to go. We were thrilled.

I wore sandals (can't get a shoe or boot on). Tried scrambling up a steep hill like I usually do. Feet slid sideways in the sandals. Owie! Will get a second x-ray on Wednesday, 5/8.

Photos:

1. Camas Meadows from a higher ridge, WA. May 2017.

2. Oregon Blue Anemones.

3. Dwarf Hesperochiron, a whopper of a name for such a tiny fella.

4. Wenatchee Mountains

5. Tall Mountain Bluebells

LiterateHiker 9 May 6

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

8 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I have delicate, small white anemones in my oak savannah woodland. I encourage their habitat here is southern Wisconsin.

I thought you very supposed to take it easy. What happened, could you not stand it anymore?

@Jolanta

It was wonderful to enjoy nature! "No weight bearing," the doctor said.

Have been feeling like a caged animal.

"You are so skinny!" Billie said. When I feel unhappy, I lose interest in food. Jeez. I only dropped from 115 to 113.

@LiterateHiker I was going to say to be careful with your injured foot but then thought that you know what you are capable of doing.

@19dacar52

"Remember, this is not about your pain tolerance but about healing," my boyfriend, a medical doctor, said this morning.

@LiterateHiker I'm not a doctor but I play one on TV. 😉

you know, when I started reading this post the minute you said anemone I thought you were talking about sea anemones. I kept thinking how could you show your friend anemones unless you went into the ocean? LOL

Living so long near or on the ocean,I kept imagining sea anemones. Beautiful shots

@gigihein

Hilarious! You're right. I added the words "flowers" and "blooming" to clarify.

Gorgeous flowers and setting - so lush!

Nice flowers

Beautiful. Sorry to hear about the foot though

<--- is groaning... The altitude and the vegetation up there...

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:342939
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.