Agnostic.com

60 9

When is it okay to say "I love you"?

Nick said "I love you" a week after we met. I was shocked. He seemed needy.

"It's too soon to talk about love," I replied. I felt pressured.

In past relationships, I waited approximately six months to a year before saying "I love you." Building trust takes time.

Your thoughts?

LiterateHiker 9 May 7

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

60 comments (51 - 60)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

One woman told me that out of the blue, immediately after I bought her expensive music festival ticket. Big Red Flag!

What is love? I have had woman quickly tell me they love me. Perhaps at the moment they speak the words they're misinterpreteding their feelings. Perhaps his neurons and hormones are firing off a rate that prohibits clear cognitive thoughts.

Unity Level 7 May 8, 2019

I agree - it takes time to get to know someone. A week???!!! Are you kidding me? You can 'like' someone in a week, but 'love'....no way..... I would run for the hills.

In my experience EVERY time a man has said it too early to me he was being manipulative either in an emotional way to make me believe he cared for me more than he did (or at all with the last one), or in a way to try and manipulate sex/sexual intimacy out of me. I only believed it when it was said to me by my long term ex of 5 years. I could tell it was genuine and heartfelt by how he said it and how he didn't expect anything in return. Some months later I said it back to him as I felt it too. 🙂 Hence my skepticism with guys that say it too soon. Although my bullshit detector has always been spot on with this. With my first high school bf he said it to me while he was aroused (we had not had sex yet) and he said it in spanish, when the boy was not a spanish speaker. A way to distance himself from the words perhaps? I laughed out loud at that one as I knew what he was doing. 🙂

Yes,I would use 6 months to gauge emotional attachments, and check for any anger issues. It's sometimes better to be alone to love yourself before getting into a relationship. Seeing couples though, will make you envious of what you are missing,but take your time,see if the other person meets most of your needs....

When you truly, honestly, absolutely, for sure, deep-down-in your-heart, FEEL it !

Though, I find it wise to assess the possible ramifications that may result - beforehand.

I can feel love for someone quite quickly if it happens, but that has nothing to do with being in a relationship with them and is unconditional. I guess you are talking about falling 'in love' within a relationship, which is normally conditional. My feeling would be to express that if I felt it because there is no certainty that it will last... so enjoy it while I can.

When you want something

After you have an orgasm

POWerful words. I have said in return "your just in lust" but that was just like throwing chum in the water. I waited 6 months repeating myself then proposed and then she freaked out! She then said can't we just live together?

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:343465
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.