Agnostic.com

10 0

Getting pecocks in the spring. This will be my first large birds. I have leghorn chickens and they are rather large for chickens that is. Has anyone had experience with pecock ckicks?

azzow2 9 Mar 8

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

10 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I really like peacocks, but I only have one chicken and six guinea hens. Peacocks, like the guineas are noisy and fly. The flying is good because dogs cannot really catch them. I was at a farm in Vermont where the sugar maples in the yard were filled with peacocks roosting at night. The owner thought he had 50 or more! We have a problem with owls getting the birds because the guineas too roost at night and will not come into the coop unless it is cold and/or snowy. They hate snow. Guineas are fun to have around and enjoy looking at their reflection, so I set up a mirror just for them in the garden.

I just remember they scared the caca doo doo out of me when I was a kid. They are beautiful, but damn they are mean.

I've been bitten, pinched, clawed, pooped on, peed on, farted on, hit, screamed in my ear, pulled my hair and looked evilly at by them.
Wait are you talking about birds or my brother's kids?
My last name is Peacock, just a bad attempt at humor.

Lol! Love it

They will survive with just basic animal care. It may be your other animals you have to worry about.

I've read that male peacocks kill roosters and attack nesting hens. Also, they are very loud, enough to bother people at a farm next door, and they fly like wild turkeys, so can get onto other people's properties and make a mess.

The farm on the next mountain from us had peacocks and not only were they were deafeningy loud, they'd fly over to our farm and yelp from our barn roof.

Leghorns are not "large for chickens", they are actually small as chickens go. If you live anywhere near other people you will likely get noise complants when the males mature. Like chickens in residendial areas, the hens of quiet breeds like Barred Rocks (my favorite), are quite innocuous. Roosters and close neighbors don't mix well...the load cries of a peacock will likely get the cops involved.

My oldest son was swarmed by peacocks at the zoo one time when he was about four. They were exactly face high with him and they just attacked him. He hates peacocks to this day. LOL if you have little kids be careful with them

Just don't try to take them on an airplane when they mature.

Not much experience. I knew one that would stop traffic on the country road in full display *in the middle of the road

No experience with chicks, but, I know the adult males are noisy AF.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:34351
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.