Agnostic.com

11 3

Are there more means of knowledge?

Do you think there is knowledge to be gained outside of rationalism? What could it be? How can you know anything without objective verification and empirical measurement?

Phyphrus 5 Mar 8

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

11 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I'm a positivist. Thus I view that certain, or 'positive,' knowledge is based solely on reality, or the physical universe. I reject theistic or metaphysical efforts to make unverifiable knowledge claims.

The only means of knowing something or getting as close to the truth that is possible at a particular time is SCIENCE made pure and simple. Intuition is a form of science where you are not fully in the driving seat e.g have lost many connections to a conclusion e.g where you are unable to recall how you came to a conclusion.

Intuition has taught me things that my rational mind couldn't.

"I am certain of nothing but of the holiness of the heart's affections and the truth of the imagination. What the imagination seizes as beauty must be truth - whether it existed before or not - for I have the same idea of all our passions as of love: they are all, in their sublime, creative of essential beauty ... O for a life of sensations rather than thoughts."
John Keats

cava Level 7 Mar 9, 2018

In my experience, there are only two ways to gain knowledge. One is direct experience and the other is through the experience of others.

SamL Level 7 Mar 9, 2018

Objective verification and empirical measurement can also be limiting. We fool ourselves when we forget that there is a vast unknown. What we validate today will be upset tomorrow and new findings will take its place.

Well from what I remember there is carnal knowledge. There is experience, and the primitive musle memeory.

I believe in creativity, and I feel it has value. However, it is not knowledge nor truth.

@DangerDave looooool

There is always room for knowledge. Doesn't matter what your beliefs are, or your education. Always keep an open mind.

guts.

I have not been able to figure out how that would work either.

Nor has a religious person ever been able to explain to me how they distinguish between their beliefs and their imagination.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:34385
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.