Agnostic.com

13 1

How can you explain dreams..?

Does anybody here have closer to scientific explaination about dreams? I ask this because almost every night I dream of any thing that I have not experience and even seen in my entire life souds funny but I am just amazed why I always dream and I am happy for it because it sends me to places ive never been hehe.. Thnx for all the comments anyway..

Bernardo 4 Mar 9

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

13 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I love my dreams... do not mess or try to explain what they are or their meaning. Just dream dude!

It seems to me that my dreams are my subconscious mind attempting to deal with issues and/or trying to communicate and even teach my conscious mind what is going on. I sleep deeply and have a notebook and pen in a nearby drawer to write down a dream should I awaken in the midst of one. if I don't write it down immediately it is unlikely I will recall the depth of the concept I was dreaming about. life is sooo damn interesting!

We have quite a few posts on dreams. Even yesterday.

I don't even try to explain my dreams. The only ones that make any sense to me at all, are those where something happens to my dogs; they will disappear if I take my eyes off them, or run into the street and get hit by a car, or something. Those I take as warnings to be careful with them, and not let my attention flag when we're outside the house.

Maybe you are a natural lucid dreamer?

jeffy Level 7 Mar 9, 2018

My brain enjoying itelf and having a mad time before business starts up again?

That's what I love about this site, of course the comments already addressed the question with intelligent responses. I also go with the theory that dreams are our brains processing events in our life. To add to it, there is a train of thought that sometimes we distort/change things in our dreams if we can't deal head on with what we are trying to process. For example, you might have a great fear of your boss, but instead of dreaming directly about her, they are represented/replaced by a pet in your dream. Also, and this is oversimplified and I don't think provable, we are processing events and moving them from short term memory to long term memory. Repetitive dreams and nightmares would thus be an indication that our brain is struggling to do that. Everyone who I have talked to in regards to struggling with a traumatic memory, have said that when they think of the event it is experienced as just happening, even if it happened decades ago. It's also true that sometimes our dreams are influenced by things around us.. dreaming that a fire alarm is going off in your house because your alarm clock has just gone off and is buzzing in your ear.

The mind organizing itself, a defrag of sorts.

I like that analogy

@Rudy1962 i suspect this because I problem solve and find answers in my sleep.

When is a "wet dream". I think there is a lot more than brain defrag.... I think is a system dump.

@GipsyOfNewSpain at my age, the next wet dream I have will be when I become incontinent

"Based on current evidence, it is most likely that dreams are the accidental by-product of two great evolutionary adaptations, sleep and consciousness (Flanagan, 2000; Foulkes, 1993; Foulkes, 1999). However, their frequent dramatization of emotional preoccupations and their parallels with the figurative dimensions of waking thought may explain why many societies have invented cultural uses for dreams, usually in conjunction with religious ceremonies and medicinal practices."
Domhoff, G. W. (2001). A new neurocognitive theory of dreams.
[www2.ucsc.edu]

cava Level 7 Mar 9, 2018

Its your brain self diagnosing while your not using it. just a guess of course

My psychologist says dreams are the product of the subconcious processing information into a form it can understand and store.

Dreams are our subconscious helping our psyche deal with issues.

Your senses take in a lot more information than your conscious mind processes, when you are asleep the different parts of your brain transfer and re-organise this information. Memory is in a different part of your brain than the actual thinking. It is like re-indexing in a database.

@Troy yes I think it can corrupt as well, it also integrates info from other dreams, and at the point the mind makes no distinction between reality and dream, which is why in your dream, no matter how crazy, it all seems reasonable.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:34426
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.