Agnostic.com

18 2

Stereotypes. We are all familiar with them and fall victim at some point. Do you think people get so angry about them because there is truth to them? Do you believe there is truth to them? Do you feel like we have be programmed to think them, even on a subconscious level?

Think9889 4 Mar 9

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

18 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I think they're a product of evolution. I think they stem from our need to categorize everything and everyone around us as a means for survival contrasted with our dislike of being pigeon holed as a particular stereotype. But what the fuck do I know, I'm just an old, fowl mouthed, nerd 😉

Getting stamped with a steriotype takes away your induviduality. Whether the steriotype is true in your case or false, it can make you angry. Here are two examples that apply to me. (1) I have heard that black women have blamed white women for getting dtRumpmf elected president. I absolutely detest the idea that anyone might think that I would have chosen that loathsome creature to sit in the oval office. I may be a white woman, but I'm not one of THOSE white women. (2) Are women more emotional than men? If so does that mean they are less rational than men? I happen to be very emotional, to the point where relationship and job issues have been affected. I have depression, which I now treat with medication. The thing is, I can break out in tears at the drop of a hat. That does not mean that my brain stops working. Being treated as irrational when you are outwardly expressing what is perceived as emotional distress is very difficult.

Some stereotypes are created to refer to a general item, for instance seat instead of throne or stool or bench or lounger. When referring to people, it can and has quickly devolved into a slur (Irish drunkard, stuck-up French, loud American). This should not be confused with the n-word or the c-word, both of which were specifically created to denigrate an entire group of people and elevate the speaker. They were invented as a slur, and if will take centuries to forget the old definition in order to have a new one. So, no. There is not always a grain of truth in them.

One of the things I love about my UK heritage (and that I was brought up with done of that heritage) is that it is damn near impossible to insult English/Scotch/Irish...because we will totally "own that shit" and quite possibly bury you in it. We are not sensitive types.

I have a more educated view of stereotypes. They exist to help fill in gaps of knowledge and should be based in statistics. They can aid in communication and give some idea of behavior. But, as knowledge is acquired, the stereotype needs to change!

The only stereotypes I believe fully in is that mostly white men are ruining the environment and are killing machines. If people can't accept those premises they are blind. Good question.

I try not to but still probably do

Stereotypes can be great, sadly most of my jokes are now considered politically incorrect, I only have lawyer jokes left.

I don't think very much of stereotypes. There are benign stereotypes and harmful ones. The thing about them is there are some that are completely false (mexicans are lazy, drug dealers black people are uneducated hoodlums etc) but some are mostly based on observation. I studied it when I worked at mcdonalds in the drive thru that if they ordered something specific 90% of the time they were African american. Does that mean all black people order that specific combination? No. Is it racist to acknowledge this completely irrelevant trait? Not in my opinion. Im latina, but being white, I've never really faced any stereotyping except "oh red head good in bed right?" But I don't really get offended by that. I do get offended when people don't believe I'm latina BECAUSE I'm white, though.

If stereotypes of any sort are true or have any semblance of truth, I would like to see one. I have live for some time and throughout my lifetime, my travels, I have YET to find any truth to any stereotype.

When I lived in Nevada while working as a supervisory & logistic trainee, I worked with a woman who literally picked up a moved away to Alabama from Tennessee so that she could get married to her first cousin. Sometimes, hillbillies really do like to keep it in the family.

@mt49er Thats an individual choice. She made her decision for her and her, "lucky" beau but I don't see how it reflects on the people of Tennessee or Alabama.

@JayJackson The only reflection in this scenario might be on the state of Alabama. Her individual choice follows a common perception of hillbillies, but she wouldn't had fit all the stereotypes considering that in probably her mid 30's she seemed to have all her teeth. All I'm saying is that sometimes people fall in line with some of their stereotypes, but it's always going to be very ignorant to think that any stereotype is true for anyone. Stereotyping people you don't know is simply a form of prejudice, therefore, it's something everyone should refrain from doing. However, we'll always have something to be appalled by as I doubt we'll ever get through a single day without some newscaster somewhere saying something absolutely stupid especially with all these religious based news channels like Fox News.

Aside from the whole incest thing which he obviously didn't mind, I would probably consider her husband who I never met to be pretty lucky as she seemed like one of the nicest people I've ever known. But if we follow a certain stereotype that's generally been true in my experience, that nice women aren't good in bed, we can ignorantly speculate exactly how lucky or not he may be.

You can speculate as much as YOUR day allows, I will pass. I still havent found any semblance of truth to any stereotype and your above comment just gives glimpses into your views on the paticular incident that you experienced. Explaining as you attempted is like being in a session and I am ok with not going there.

I think everyone not only carries sreriotypes but also generates them. When we are made aware of someone elses steriotype, we set out to verify it in reality. We often let even one case verify the "truth" for the whole group while ignoring counter evidence. When we believe we have enough evidence we spread our pseudo-scientific "truth" as widely as we can so we feel smart. Unfortunately we all do some form of this. It only ends when people become aware of the all too common process.

I got told once, "Why do you workout? You're not fat." I said, "I'm building muscles, not losing weight." Ignorance.

I was raised in an enviroment where prejudice against Black people was mandatory. The entire town of 7000 were white, I was indoctrinated from a young age until I left town for the Army in '82. In basic I had a platoon mate, who happened to be Black, ask to borrow my Van Halen tape (cassette back then). I was surprised and said "I thought you didn't like rock music", he replied "I guess I'm supposed to like fried chicken and watermelon, too". He new my history and realized it was an honest (although ignorant) mistake on my part. I learned a lot from that man, I'll never forget him. Is there truth to sterotypes? Not that I have seen, there are exceptions to the rule I suppose. Are we programed with them? Yup, that's the only way sterotypes survive. We aren't born with them, if so then all (insert race) would hate everyone else. There will be no exceptions. People getting angry over them? It's a way to catagorize and label people. It's been long used to "keep them in their place" and to provide a reason to validate the hate in their twisted world view.

Dunno. I just know that, while traveling abroad, Americans seem to be among the loudest, crudest, most aggressive, and most ignorant of the tourists I've met, or seen. And I include myself. I even allow my being American explain why I'm ignoring local social norms. Thai seem to be, overall, kind and patient. Germans mostly seem to be brusque, straight-shooters who'll tell you just what they think, Taiwanese seem to be unfailingly dutiful, insightful, Koreans seem to be unusually talented/intelligent, etc. Of course there's truth to many stereotypes..after several encounters with rude Canadians abroad, I thought all of them were that way, but I've since met a number of exceptions. And of course, there are knowleable, polite Americans who travel abroad-it's just that I've seldom if ever, met any.

Yes I think stereotypes stem from some sliver of truth. I fight the negative side of that thinking by being an individualist, but it's hard sometimes when faced with it full on. For instance I'm in a community I can nail down the typical demographic, 90% of which drive me nuts.

There is always a reason for a sterotype, be it myth, jealosy, fear or political bias.I have been to 46 states and two foreign countries and it is always the largest minority. I have seen it between men and women, I have seen black on Black prejudge and I've seen it in whites as well as Indian and Alaskan Native. It is econimcs as well as religious and dates back to when cave dwellers feared those from another cave, valley or district. I believe it is ingrained. That doesn't mean that it can't be changed through time and education. How much of it will be changed is another topic altogether.

A lot of stereotypes are actually fact or hold some truth, but some are just plain ignorant.

Hate stereotypes-we need more diversity-end the cycle of hate and discrimination- especially in Trumpty Dumpty's pro white nationalist administration. No truth to bigotry just ignorance.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:34710
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.