Agnostic.com

8 4

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

8 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Simple but NRA opposes

bobwjr Level 10 May 15, 2019

Most of us are totally disgusted with the US!

We suffer from "John Wayne Syndrome", and an amazing level of ignorance.

America doesn’t make sense to many countries for so many reasons. Perhaps if education was important, this kind of idiocy would stop.

Who cares if she understands us?

zesty Level 7 May 15, 2019

She’s not the only one! Most of the rest of the world don’t understand.

Yep. The "old west" mentality. Pennsylvania legislation now going through our Congress would allow no need for a concealed weapons' permit. Our current governor won't sign, but still. Our state is controlled by a rigged system to give the interior more power to balance out the large population centers on either side.
Personally, I like Finland's approach- a place with nearly as many per capita guns as here (they have big bears). They limit pistols; have no semi-automatic weapons; and EVERYONE who wants a weapon, must go through intense training; oh, yea, and background checks. BUT, ALL people CAN own a gun - constitutionally (they also neighbor Russia - another big bear).

I think there are several countries which have similar per capita ownership rates of guns, but they have a rather different attitude to using them. In the US so many people seem to live in a state of fear and distrust.

I live have lived in the U.S. all of my life... and on this issue, I don't understand the lack of common sense at all.... although the suggestion of guys wanting guns to make up for their small dicks does explain a part of it.

This is undeserving of comment, but I'll try to respond with some seriousness.

Do you actually know anyone who owns guns?

The problem with the gun debate is that both sides talk only among themselves instead of talking to each other. They deal in stereotypes; either a person is a nut who carries around an AR in the back of his pickup, or a gun grabber who wants to confiscate every squirrel rifle. Nobody recognizes even the possibility of a middle ground.

Almost every gun owner I know (many who voted for Trump, which is another story) favors some type of regulation and training, mostly very rigorous training. Next to nobody wants unrestricted gun ownership. It's a hobby like any other for gun owners. Almost nobody is gearing up for the end of society; we just enjoy the skill used in shooting and shooting well, the technology and craftsmanship of a well-made firearm. At the same time, most believe in self-defense and want that ability. Criminals don't care whether they're carrying illegally; it's foolish to restrict a law-abiding person's ability to carry a gun as long as they're trained in its use.

@Paul4747 No one needs to carry a gun. If one wants to defend their home, you can do that better with a shotgun. Everybody talks middle ground. Pay attention. Being a hobby is a ludicrous argument. So as long as something is a "hobby", that makes it ok.

@Sticks48 You assume all violence occurs in the home? Pay attention. And for that matter, I would not want to try to maneuver a shotgun in my tiny apartment.

Many collect firearms because of historic interest and because they are things of beauty in and of themselves. It IS a hobby, whether you consider it a "ludicrous" hobby or not. I consider Beanie Babies ludicrous, but there you are.

@Paul4747 Sorry, you will be blocked. I don't tolerate stupid period. No need to respond. As soon as your name pops up, it is straight to the block button. Have a good life. 🙂

@Paul4747 as you say trained. But no one, especially the right will do so. The old, pre 70's NRA used to do training and used to push gun safety and more stringent gun laws (think 1968+ California under Reagan gun laws(. The NRA is now a shill for manufacturers who only care about profits.

@Paul4747 Many of my relatives are gun owners. Not one has ever needed or used a gun for protection and none of them are hunters. Not one of them favors any kind of regulation. One of my brothers had weapons training int he military,but he hs nto kept up proficiency (practice or training) since leaving the military. Their idea of storing guns is at best under a matress.

I myself experience a home invasion of a man with a gun, but have felt no need to go otu an dget a gun as a result.

I think when a home owner pulls a gun it greatly increases the chance that a bad guy with a gun will shoot.

So, I do know gun owners, but as you said like people tend to associate with each other, and I do not currently know any responsible fun owners. I hve met fun owners liek those you are talking about. I myself have foen through fun safety courses way back when I was a teenager, in order to go hunting, and the instrucors were very responsible, but not gun owners I have met are nto responsible. Thsi may be due to responsible gun owners nto advertising or talking about owning guns.

I find that generally the moist vocal gun owners are the most irresponsible gun owners. They own guns mostly7 out of a feelign of a lack of manhood, fear and insecurity. And to those types of persons, I think the tiny dick references are not really far off, if not in actuality, then in the reasoning as to why they own guns.

Back when I was a teen the NRA, which sponsored the gun safety classes i took was focused on gun safety, and marksmanship. Now, it is focused on promoting gun sales and little more. It's just own s many guns as you can, and it seems to be litel more than a pissing contest as to who owns the most poerful fun tht shoots the most bullets as fast as possible.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:347147
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.