Agnostic.com

8 13

Temporary setback. Sympathy for people with chronic pain.

Monday was a long day on my feet with a broken toe, having a new refrigerator delivered. This increased my sympathy for people with chronic pain.

With my foot in a medical boot, I moved the couch, small furniture and throw rugs. Carried heavy bags of food back-and-forth. Cleared out the old refrigerator, loading a big cooler. Then the reverse: carried heavy bags of food, stocked the new refrigerator, cleaned out cooler, moved back furniture.

Finished, exhausted, at 10 p.m. Foot was throbbing.

At 2:30 a.m, I jerked awake with my foot on FIRE. Took ibuprofen and elevated for the rest of the night.

On Tuesday, foot pain all day long. Did I re-break the toe? So, I iced three times, took ibuprofen, elevated and rested. Success!

This morning, foot pain was reduced 86.73%. When it reaches 87%, party time!

I feel lucky this is temporary. Today I went grocery shopping and vacuumed. Then iced again.

Life is made up of small successes.

LiterateHiker 9 May 15

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

8 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I've developed some pain from an unknown source on top of other health issues. It's been with me for a little over a year. At first the doctor put me on pain killers which didn't really kill the pain but subtly make it more bearable but one doctor said I cannot take that anymore. It's an opiod and could be addicting. ibuprofen doesn't work well either but I use it on occasion.
I wish you a speedy recovery with no long term pain.

I really like that you were able to come up with that specific percentage. How did you calculate that?

@Unclehotrod

Trying to decide between 80% and 90% pain reduction, I chose a number in the middle, leaning more toward 90%,

Added the percentage as a joke.

When it gets to 87%, party time!

Sometimes ice is the wrong answer. Lying in a warm bath, with your foot submerged, widens the capillaries, increasing blood flow, and with it the necessary repair mechanisms.
Ibuprofen and Paracetamol can be taken alternately, thereby halving the times between pain killers. (Every 2 hours, whilst still being 4 hours between each Ibuprofen or Paracetamol.) However, don't prolong the doubled treatment beyond a day or so.

@Petter

Good point.

As an athlete, I routinely use ice to reduce swelling and pain.

even temporary pain sucks. i, like @linxminx, also have arthritis and fibromyalgia, as well as neuropathy from my diabetes and some other stuff. like her i try not to complain; folks do NOT understand, any more than they understand that depression isn't just feeling sad. i had a recent experience of which your post has reminded me. i go to adult day care thrice a week, and the director is a nice person but i felt dismissed this past monday when i was feeling some rather unusual pain that i could not attribute to anything i know i have. i had back spasms in a place that i have never before had them, and the pain migrated to the front into my ribs and affected my breathing. i mentioned it to the director and she said "let's talk about our aches and pains!" and mentioned something that hurt her, and then walked away. it was rather shockingly dismissive. my pain got worse and by the end of the day i had to cancel my ride home and instead call for an ambulance, and guess what? the paramedic had the same attitude! he kept asking me if i was SURE i wanted to go to the hospital! i was fearful that he would write down that my insurance shouldn't pay because it wasn't a real emergency! i think chest pain and an inability to draw a full breath counts as a real emergency. when i got to the e.r. the doctor expressed his fear that my pain my be coming from a pulmonary embolism. he ordered an x-ray (which an urgent care could have done) and an ultrasound of my legs (which would NOT have been done immediately at urgent care). they found nothing. they said a p.e. was not eliminated totally but less likely than previously thought. they didn't offer me an alternative explanation but they did send me home with the usual instructions: call your doctor. but to be dismissed so, twice in one day! at least the doctor wasn't like that. but lay persons.... they definitely do NOT understand. i do not wish your pain upon you and i cannot say i am glad you have it. i don't and i'm not. but i AM glad that since you DO have that pain, you are wise enough to interpret it properly and imagine what it would be like to have it chronically. not only would people not understand what it's like, but if they DID purport to understand, then they wouldn't take your seriously if you had a pain you knew was DIFFERENT from your chronic pain!

g

@genessa

What a terrifying and demeaning experience. Across the world, women are dismissed when they experience pain. "It's all in your head."

Women are more likely to die after heart attacks because doctors see it as a male problem, study finds.

[yahoo.com]

@LiterateHiker not only by virtue of being dismissive, which is no small thing, but also because our heart attack symptoms are not always the same ones men experience. that classic heart-clutching with the left-arm-pain, that's typically male. women might just feel nausea and/or pressure and a host of other things that don't cry out "heart attack" to those without an m.d. after their names. a doctor, though, should know better, and that is where the dismissal comes in.

g

@genessa

Exactly.

A link of small successes is how a great enterprise gets accomplished!!! A Great War is a compilation of small battles!!! In my Book.... You are a Warrior and a Winner!

@GipsyOfNewSpain

Thank you so much!

@LiterateHiker You know.... the mailman always delivers!!!! (a joke between you and me).

my belief is that constant chronic pain is fatal. It wears a person out. Having picked up different injuries along my journey I can relate.Rest up if you can.

So I'm glad to know that remaining 13.27% isn't keeping you down! You say the cutest things! Why can't you live on this side of the country? Mountains are your passion. I feel the same about beaches!

@Stilltrying1964

Glad you enjoy my silly humor. Thank you!

For 20 years, I visited my mother in Englewood, Florida each year. White sand, ocean waves, fresh seafood.... What's not to like?

Too darn flat. I was constantly scanning the horizon for my beloved mountains.

Why oh why did you do all that. Surely you could have gotten someone to help you with the things that really had to be done and left the rest for when your toe mended. I feel like you mother having to tell you off, he,he. I thought I told you to take it easy. I am sorry that I am so far away or I would have come to help you.

@Jolanta

Yes, Mom! My daughter said the same thing.

Next week I will see a podiatrist. He sent an order to get a x-ray that morning, to see how the broken toe is healing.

"It takes six weeks for broken bones to heal," my doctor said.

Hope the two weeks I walked around with a broken toe without a boot counts.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:347309
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.