Agnostic.com

28 2

Do You Pay It Forward?

Pay It Forward is a phylosophy I have adapted the past few years. If you don't know what it is ... it means that you perform random acts of kindness to complete strangers. You don't take any credit, that's not what it's about. It's about making someone elses day a little easier. It's about sharing what you have or can do with someone who needs it. It doesn't have to be anything big. It can be as small as parking someone's grocery cart for them, or opening a door and saying 'Have a great day', or one of my favorites is to pay for the meal of whomever is behind me at the drive up, and asking the cashier to as them to pay it forward. But the best ones are when you are able to make a real change, like buying someone's groceries when they left their card in the car, or helping a stranded driver by getting a new battery for their car. These are really big things and I've done many of them, but the kindness does not have to be this big. Any kindness you can provide will be appreciated by the recipient. When I have an encounter where I'm actually face to face with someone and trying to convince them that I want to help without credit or even telling them who I am, I make it a point to task them into paying it forward to someone else. I never know if they do or not, of course, but I think the experience is enlightening to them and extremely satisfying for me. How do you Pay It Forward??

stomato 6 Mar 9

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

28 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I do. I have as long as I can remember. My dad taught me to be a giving human being as a child.

But do you insist that the receipient do like wise. It's one thing to do something great for someone. But one of the great things about Pay It Forward is that you make your recipient aware that they are obligated to be kind and helpful to someone else. This is how we Pay It Forward! Encouraging others to do the same.

I do often, it's fun. Sometimes when I am filling up with fuel, they have this offer, spend $5 and get 8 cents a litre off. I have a 180 litre tank, works for me. Often they gave 2 drinks or 2 chocolate bars at the counter next to the sign. Obviously they expect that is what you will buy. And I do. As I leave I will often give a chocolate bar to a kid walking in with their parents, or a drink to some random grumpy looking guy, and just say I got it as a freebie.

I'm a grumpy looking guy. 🙂

I will, at random, often pay for a meal at a restaurant, with the express stipulation that I remain anonymous. I have done it so I get to see the effect but try to do it so I am NOT part of the transaction... however, to do this with any regularity, and remain anonymous, and random, it has to happen near you some times. I have also paid for strangers, just because. I have spent time buying cards at a restaurant that I'd give to a trusted waitress to use for those who deserve it, (in this case, I'd put preference on single mothers). It was totally up to her where it went. This came around. I was at one of my favorite restaurants and... MY meail was picked up, at random, out of the blue... I was in tears. Was a nice feeling. 🙂

I didn't put this above, and should have: I strive to remain anonymous as this isn't about me, this is about just making the world better. I do not, however, put any onus on anyone who does suss out that I did it. I just shrug it off and say 'you are most welcome' if I have to.

My parents traveled a lot when I was growing up, I attended a few "boarding schools" but also lived for school semesters with various relatives and family friends over the years. I have had some of those same cousins I grew up with live with me over the years. As my children grew up there was a steady stream of their friends that would need a place to stay for an afternoon or several months and I alway made room for them. (one finshed her AA degree here when her mom had to move to FL for her job) When fam & friends asked why I had so many random kids at my house at times I told them I hoped that if my kids were ever in need, there would be someone there, wherever they where to help them and provide saftey, just as I try to do. Luckily both my daughters have godparents that dote on them as well. My kids have stayed with friends in several states and countries visiting those that once stayed with us. Sure, I have helped someone who was a little short for their gas or groceries but helping a kid when they are hurt, confused, troubled or just in need, seems the best way I know to pay it forward. I had my girls in Scouts and 4H to learn how to be community active and helpful, and I now see them doing the same thing with their friends now that they are grown.

Candy Level 4 Mar 9, 2018

That's awesome. I think it doesn't just take a village, but maybe it takes a country!! Good job! Seriously!!

I do these things anyway

Absolutely. I have received and extended many.

I most certainly do. I gave a boost to a car load of high schools kids trying to get to school in the morning rush traffic. They thanked me and I said to please help someone in return. They said that they would.

I try to do nice things when I can, and, for me, it’s important that they don’t know I did it. I feel weird if people know I bought their coffee or that I sent the letter of commendation because the person who helped me was so exceptional. If they know I did, then it feels (to me) more like a transaction and not an actual gift. I want that person to treat me exactly as they would if they had no idea I did anything for them.

I like that! Thanks.

I don't get out much, but when I see people in my parking lot, I always say hello and or smile. Hold doors for person behind me, let person behind me at check out go first if they only have a couple of items. Just normal human courtesy. Thank customer service phone reps when I call for assistance wherever.. Too bad just being nice has to have commendation.

That's a good start, Sweetie. I encourage you to expand it if you can. But it's all voluntary. No one should talk you into doing more, It comes from your own heart!! Well done!

Yes, I do pay it forward. I have always strived to help people and do the right thing, and I believe it has come back to me in kind.

Sounds like good Karma to me!! Love it!

@stomato however you wish to characterize it, it feels like more than coincidence.

Yes but I don't expect a thanks you or standing ovation.

right. its not going above and beyond, its just going.

sure.

Absolutely.

Living that way is one of the things that brings joy to my life. It seems to be circular, and I find that when I end up in a bind, I rarely have to ask for help--help just seems to be there.

Whenever possible.

Yes, but I just pay it. If someone needs my help, then I help within reason. I’ve been that way forever.

When I do these things, it gives me great pleasure, and that's part of the allure. But the biggest reason is, and call me a dreamer, that I would like to help make my little piece of the world a little friendlier. When these things occur in public and others see it happening, I feel like it affects them, too. Just imagine if we had millions of Pay It Forward ambassadors all over the country (dreaming again). It's infectious and could really make a difference.

You might enjoy Join Me by Danny Wallace, who does a similar thing - [amazon.co.uk]

Jnei Level 8 Mar 9, 2018

I think some of you have a wrong impression of Pay It Forward. It's not just about doing kind things for people, although that's a really good start! It's more about burdening that person to pass the kindness on. That's where we're trying to get to. It's fabulous if you've done something nice for someone. But if you didn't make it clear that you did this so that that person would pass kindness on to someone else, you've completely missed the mark. It's called Pay It Forward because it's assumed that whomever you help will be well aware that their obligation is not to you, but to the next person or situation they encounter.That's what its all about, be kind and make the recipient be very aware of their responsibility to be kind to others.

I like to think that I live comfortably with little money because of small things I have done in regards to other people. For this to be totally true it would appear to have to involve some sort of supernaturalism. Maybe it is actually something else that we do not see. For example, I know people that seem to go out of their way to make things harder for themselves. I'm sure they would not see this, but I do.

every day help someone and if everyone does it we have a much better world around us

For a few months, I was in a wheelchair. I needed help from other people every day. And it really hurt when I would see someone who would drop something, or needed to have a door opened, or whatever, and I couldn't do that for them. Being that way helped me to realize that helping others is a privilege: not everyone can do it. If you can help someone, you should.

Can’t pay it forward when nothing ever gets paid forward to me.

I try to pay it forward. It seems that no matter what I do for whom I still don't do enough to ever cover the acts of kindness. Or to put it another way; I don't think I can ever cover the debt incurred by random acts of kindness. It is a good debt to owe and at times I blush when I do something for someone and they really appreciate it, even if it is a small thing to me.

Always! I always ask that my oversized meal be divided in half, so on my way home I can feed someone who is hungry.

Nena Level 6 Mar 10, 2018
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:34768
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.