Agnostic.com

9 5

Please, discussion only, no arguments. The world is a bit crazy at the moment, I have faith in very few Governments to put the interests of its people first and mine is not one of them. So we have China taking over the South China Sea, we point fingers at them and say, "naughty naughty". But only quietly, the reality is that they are our major trading partner. America is talking of putting tariffs up on metal imports. China is saying, "Naughty naughty" and pointing to their new weapons. America is their biggest trading partner. Industry and finance really run the world, why do we pretend otherwise? Governments only get in the way. Religions only make life miserable. Here in Oz, we have lots of sun blasted desolate land, China makes most of the Worlds solar panels, Tesla is going to be the largest battery producer on the planet, Japan is going to be the leader in hydrogen powered cars. Why not a consortium, Oz land and Sunshine, Chinese panels, American batteries, sell clean power to Australians, store solar power at night, and generate hydrogen from seawater, bottle it and send it to Japan. Or is such reasoning treasonous? (Sorry, formatting just is NOT working ATM)

Rugglesby 8 Mar 9

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

9 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Personally I would move to Australia if it were not for the bugs and the snakes. They are everywhere, I know, but at lease here I can get away from them and we do not have poisonous snakes in the area. We do have cougars.

We have cougars too, my son is going out with one tonight. We do have 1 out of the top 10 most poisonous snakes in the world, sadly my area has the Eastern Brown, Number 2 or 3. But this little guy has no poison, nor any teeth, they are so cute, and I am not a snake fan.

Yup!

Because of power and control

This could make sense but one must be careful not to confuse an issue with logic

I have believed firmly for decades that major corporations and financial institutions run governments--everywhere. And they will do whatever suits them if it's profitable. Anything that benefits humanity is secondary.

I don't think humanity is a non-consideration, I think we are viewed as consumers of the resources, i.e. water, food, etc..
As soon as they have their robots in place to do all of the manufacturing and labor and service jobs, they'll have little use for most of us.

Trying not to be incendiary as to avoid those arguments, but here's my thoughts. I think government is more than just getting in the way, they're encouraging the lack of cooperation you describe. Especially in modern times when this non-internationally cooperative isolationist "america first, nevermind the world" mentality and brexit are popular and supported. I don't remember the last time I had faith in a government, but at least before they were making a token effort of trying to work together with other countries to fight pollution, help developing nations and working towards new trade ideas. Now it's just a very vocal, very popular "me, me, me" attitude on the national level

Good idea.

"store solar power at night" That is the problem...there is no good way (efficent) of storing large amounts of electricty. You can convert it to potential energy by using the daylight electicity to pump water up hill, and then have it generate at night when it is realeased through generators, but that method is very ineffecient. "generate hydrogen from seawater" There is no easy/good way (electrolosis is expensive...uses a lot of energy) to generate hydrogen from water. You can do it, but it is costly...takes a lot of energy or in the case of Hydrogen Fuel Cells, the technology has not matured.

Storage is still the problem, hopefully with time the giant batteries will go down in price. Am looking at microgrids at the moment in my area, using the home batteries from individual houses along with a community sized battery. As electric cars increase there is the option of using the batteries in them to feed back into the grid up to a point, or at least into the home. The Nissan Leaf already does this and Tesla just told me to "Watch this space". In Oz some of our old coal generators are getting close to their expiry dates, I would like to see the money go into renewables not more coal stations. The saving makes batteries look less expensive. Still a long way to go I know.

I agree with the idea of international cooperation.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:34802
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.