Agnostic.com

10 5

QUESTION How to Ditch the News Feed Algorithm and Take Back Facebook

The solution is to simply ignore the News Feed entirely. As Facebook’s role in the downfall of American democracy, media, and discourse is fiercely debated, many people have suggested: Why not just delete Facebook? The truth is that there are many reasons why someone might want to keep their Facebook: A decade of photos and memories, research for work, blog post promotion (hello), getting invited to parties, and, presumably, keeping up with friends who have not deleted their Facebooks. It is totally FINE to keep your Facebook, and there are ways to use the service without being dragged into “conversations” about gun control with your elementary school bully or confronted with constant targeted advertising. ## The solution is to simply ignore the News Feed entirely. # [motherboard.vice.com]

Dougy 7 Mar 9

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

10 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Something that I read about several years ago and put into practice is the refusal to use the "Like" button for ANYTHING, and I comment judiciously. Comments and likes are what drives their algorithms, so mostly, I beat them at their game and my newsfeed remains largely neutral

Agreed. Facebook does have an option to download all of your pictures, and such. I have all my family's historical photos, and images, the children, camping trips, etc. Facebook has gotten awful.

That sounds like good advice. I feel that many of the feeds in FB are actaully from other sites and if you comment it can be see also on the sites that posted it first. Anyone know if this is correct?

FB has such a polarizing affect. I have a wide range of friends, many of whom are conservative and have been hooked by the voluminous propaganda parade on their newsfeeds. When they share their absurdities, I can't help but respond with reason to the absolute bullshit that's circulating out there. People get exercised and call me names because they aren't used to people responding with facts. I think introducing doubt into their paradigm is important because of the power of group think. They aren't bad people, they are just mislead, but don't even realize it until confronted.

jeffy Level 7 Mar 10, 2018

I used to experience that, but now I see nonsense on both sides, I'm not sure if that's better or worse

@McIntyre I agree there is BS on both sides, but facts are politically neutral.

Wow man, I only use Facebook for keeping in touch with family and friends. Fuck the rest of it.

Quite easy really. Just go through your list on your profile to see if you've missed anything occasionally.

If I want news, I will seek it from reliable sources, deliberately. I've unfollowed many on my FB, blocked or deleted many unsolicited would be news sites, and glutted my feed with science and comedy. The rest of the BS (equivalent to pop ups), I just scroll by.

Zster Level 8 Mar 10, 2018

Never understood how FB became a source of news. I was very surprised to hear news of it.

When you like a news source it becomes part of you home page. Therefore being a source of news. Many of the sites I get my independent news from have pages on facebook also. Which usually provides me with the most important news coming out during the day while I'm working and only have my tablet with me. I go over those sources during the weekend on their web sites to get the articles I missed during the week.

@William_Mary Ahhh I get it. I think the use of FB differs regionally. I don't know anyone here in AUS (colleagues, friends or family) who use FB as a source of news.

Outstanding!

Google+ is better for news aggregation anyway imo

Google plus also filters your news to your preferences learned by Google's AI as you browse while logged in to Google. Browsing with incognito mode on while not logged in to any social media presents a list of news not filtered with preferences that your social media has learned from you intenet activities.

Google is a means to manage ones perception. Good luck back there. Watch out for the snakes!

@William_Mary ha ya, they were mostly aggregated in Dank Memes, seemed like, so i just avoided DM. But now it shut down, and they leaked out all over the meme community, so you do still have to prune as necessary, ya.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:34808
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.