Agnostic.com

9 7

I love spiders and this little guy is so precious. You have to check out his Youtube videos.

Crimson67 8 Mar 10

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

9 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Cute!

Cute but familiarity breeds contempt breeds carelessness breeds serious problems. It is only a few years ago that it was discovered that funnel webs will drop out of 30 metre high trees and kill you. That the white spot spider very similar to the daddy long legs will leave venom in a tiny bite that will cause the skin surrounding a bite to rot and spread for months. In other words there may be much that we still don't know about spiders.

@Kreig Thanks Kreig you obviously are more up with the data on white backs. I simply knew someone who had huge scalp problems for six months. Whilst the funnel web is deadly I suspect that the red back, because of its greater habitat range, proliferation of numbers and liking for domestic environments is far deadlier. Whether the toxicity of the venom increases with the size I do not know however I have seen some half the size of a golf ball. The fact that the daddy long legs likes to eat them makes them a friendly spider imo. I'm also not sure if it is literal to say that it is the venom that kills but the shock reaction induced by the bodies own reaction the same ? as eating peanuts when allergic. There are 4 or 5 different varieties of funnel web, one species of funnel web that I read of somewhere where was stated to occupy trees. Perhaps it was a Murdock or Fox news report. 😀

I found one of these last night/ early hours this morning busy above the shaving mirror. I tried to catch him but he was far too fast for me and raced off to hide. I normally ignore them believing that they help keep the mosquito and fruit fly population down I see however that they do eat the very dangerous red back spider.
[+] Daddy Long Legs SPIDER CHART Venomous or Dangerous? [spiders.com.au]

Check out the peacock spider if you like spiders.

Lucas is an internet sensation!!!

Even people not into spiders seem to like him. (:

Zster Level 8 Mar 10, 2018

From what I've heard, it's working!

I used to have a serious phobia of spiders....screamed like a little girl if one was too close to me...haha....faced the fear, and now I use them in my war on ants...hehe

I hope it is fake!

I like spiders too. When one is so bold as to show itself to me, I direct it to the nearest houseplant.

Apex Level 4 Mar 10, 2018

Awww.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:34977
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.