Agnostic.com

13 0

If you could construct your own set of "Commandments" for humankind, what would they be?

Provide serious examples, please, and resist the cheap gags on this one.

ballou 8 Mar 10

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

13 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Don't hurt people and don't steal their stuff.

Be kind. Don't be an a-hole.

Stop putting narcissistic assholes in charge.

@Shelton I have the same wish

My honor code. I've already posted it on here.

Value the other as he is your own.

Thou shalt not deprive another of their human rights unless that person deprives someone else of their rights.

Don't lie to children.

Pay your taxes

Don't piss people off unless they make it nessesary. It bout covers everything and a bonus loophole in the deal.. Perfect.

It wouldn't be my place to even imagine commanding others, much less to do so.

It would be my place to stand in defense of someone who's being harmed or hurt, but not to micromanage where people put their tallywhacker, what they eat for breakfast or what they believe.

1. some variation of the golden rule
    2, it's not all about you

Exactly!

1. Don't be a dick.
  2. See "1".
Jnei Level 8 Mar 10, 2018

Yes. Reading the comments so I didn't say this exact sentiment after someone else did. I'm at least two commenters too late.

Be kind, be honest. Take responsibility for your choices. Respect each other.

Ironically, I would take Jesus' teachings as gospel.

Love one another. Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

Would that cover every conceivable action that promotes the continuous propagation of our species' DNAs while condemning every conceivable action that promotes the opposite?

I would set no commandments. One bald, schizophrenic ape should not be able to control any other bald schizophrenic ape.

I think we only need one. The Golden Rule (Do unto others....), if followed, would basically cover everything.

Agreed! I posted similar. I always forget to read first.

Problem is, the Golden Rule breaks down when promulgated by a masochist, or certain other mentally unstable persons. But yes, it's a good basic rule for sane people at least.

@mordant, mentally unstable people will not follow any rule.

That’s how I try to live my life.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:35168
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.