Agnostic.com

4 2

LINK Majority in Brazil's top court to make homophobia and transphobia crimes - BBC News

This was unexpected as I believe th government there is very far right wing.

snytiger6 9 May 25

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

4 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

What is this? The article does not explain what the new law does and nothing I can imagine makes much sense. Does it make homophobia per se illegal? That’s dumb and unenforceable. Does it make violence against gays illegal? That’s stupid because isn’t assault already illegal?

It is sad, but blanket protections do nto seem to work in practice, which means in oder to protect minority groups yoy have to specifically name each group.

Yes, it seems stupid that it is needed... but humans do not always behave intelligently.

@snytiger6 I don’t see how making new laws will discourage people that are already willing to break the law.

Unexpected? Sarcasm?

My readign was that gays got pretections... which is a reversal from previous policies.

Reverse Sharia, anyone? Anti-free speech fascism is everywhere. We are in deep shit. Especially with all the trans-mania happening up here.

How can you enforce a law against fear? I understand laws against hateful acts, but we have no control over our fears. With awareness we can control our actions. Maybe something got lost in the translation.

Our fears often exist for legitimate purposes. IMO a measure of fear in connection with homosexuality can be a good and useful emotion, keeping us from straying off into a lifestyle that is not in our best interests.

So, you are afraid you are going to be led off into a homosexual lifestyle, and you don't feel like that would be in your best interests? Or did I misread your reasoning? Being gay is nothing to be feared. Not by those that are gay or by those that aren't. Denial is not being true to yourself, and hiding yourself means you will never be truly known by anyone.

@Kafirah My understanding is that all males have innate homosexual tendencies, and that a majority cover up that tendency because of natural and healthy subconscious fear. That fear, just like the fear of falling, is there for a reason and is not something to be disparaged. I, for one, am not ashamed of my natural fears. Being true to myself includes recognizing my inner fears and their beneficence.

The modern politically correct bunch irrationally throws out the word “phobia” as though to have a fear is the most evil, diabolical condition imaginable. And now apparently in Brazil it is illegal to have a phobia. If you want to demonize or harass people you need to find a better rationale IMO.

@WilliamFleming It's not just males. Sexuality is a spectrum, and everyone is on the spectrum. But, what I'm getting at is that if someone is afraid of being led off on a gay lifestyle, they may be at a much more gay area of the spectrum than they'd like to believe, and there isn't anything wrong with it, no matter where on the spectrum they are or where they think they are. It's all good. And choosing not to act upon those impulses may or may not be hiding one's true nature from oneself and others. And that comes with it's own set of negative complications and consequences.

I think "phobia" is both an accurate term and an inaccurate term, in that people fear what they don't understand, and it is an irrational fear, being that they could understand if they so chose by simply asking questions of those that do understand... but that would be a rational response, and therefore doesn't fit the definition of "phobia". I mean, I'm slightly arachnophobic, but even if spiders could talk, I'm not going near one close enough to ask it to explain why it's so creepy and disgusting. Which is how homophobes and transphobes feel toward the LGBTQ+ community. I too am unsure of how Brazil is going to make that sort of fear illegal, though.

@Kafirah OK, I get what you are saying. There is a gradation when it comes to sexuality, and there’re different types of phobias, different levels.

Sounds about right.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:352066
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.