Agnostic.com

8 6

Anyone else out there a preemie or a micro-preemie?

I'm one of the very small group of micro-preemies born in the 1960s (before specialized neonatal care) and before who survived. I was born at 26 weeks, weighed barely a pound, and spent the first 3 months of my life in an incubator. The headlines in papers across the state when I was born (and lived) read "MIRACLE BABY!" If they could see me now, lol.

BookDeath 8 Mar 10

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

8 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

My daughter was born in 1983 at 2 lbs., 5 ounces. She spent 3months and 3 days in ICU. Came home on bradycardia and apnea monitor at 4 lbs, 3 ounces. AlbanyMedical Center kept her alive through intestinal surgery. Becky was diagnosed with cerebral palsy before her second birthday.

She was tiny. You must have hiccuped to give birth! Was she fukly formed at birth? That must have been very tough on you @sassygirl3869

I had started a Masters Program in Special Education teaching kids so I recognized the physical symptoms early and living in VT had an early ed program with home-based teachers.

It was a scary experience-waiting to see if she would gain an ounce. I was 26 weeks pregnant and they held me for a week so meds would mature her lungs. Never needed a respirator/oxygen. 35 years ago now

When I was born my mother was a nurse's aid, she said that I weighed a little over three pounds but never gained any weight, I to was in an incubator. Here's the funny part, so my mom being the hillbilly rattlesnake that she was, told them at the hospital that she was taking me home, that they was starving me. She brought me home and put me on a titty & mash potato diet and stalled my metabolism from birth.
Now, I'm 6'0" 255 lbs and have been rather large my whole life.

Tippa Level 5 Mar 11, 2018

It's amazing what a difference lifestyle, food quality and exercise does to change people's structure. Round here I'm positively tiny compared to many who grew up on farms, were well fed but had a hard physical life from an early age. I'm a quarter inch short of six foot and currently weigh in a 100 kilos - still trying to lose at least another 10 preferably 15.

Not me but our twins who turn 14 in 4 days. 26 weeks at 560g and 735g. My grandma had a 2lb preemie baby at home 75ish years ago. They took him to the doctor who said nothing could be done, to take him home and let him go. She kept him warm in a shoe box in the warming oven. He made it and was one of her largest children. (1 of 12, the largest baby weighing over 14lbs.)

A wonderful family story.

What?! In the oven? No, that didn't happen... Come On! Are You Being Serious?

@MrLink Lol. I am serious. I have heard the story 101 times. 🙂

@AdorkableMe babies in ovens... Its just too hortifying! I can't believe it. I won't.

I'm not but in the eighties had the trauma of my daughter being born at 28 weeks and 3lb 2oz in weight. They gave her a 50:50 chance of living. Her mother was more concerned that she could still wear pre pregnancy trousers and stated that giving birth - 3 pushes and she was out "the most degrading experience of her life" and as my daughter was transferred to a different hospital didn't bother visiting her for three weeks. I spent two and a half months every day by her humicrib for upto 16 hours a day encouraging her to live. The number of times that I resuscitated her from sleep apnaea in that time was approaching the hundred mark. Needless to say when she came home she would do nothing for her mother. On my chest she would fall asleep in less than a minute.

I vaguely remember being told of a great uncle of hers who must have been born in the 1920's who was similarly a premmie sent home in his case after only two and a half weeks. ... they were tough in those days.

For all the survivors here I say well done and from a parents point of view state that you gave your parents grief but incredible joy - we were able to share with you life longer (by the time of your prematurity) than the child's life shared by the majority of parents.

Such huge kudos for you!

@njoy_life_2 Don't understand. I fathered a child that suffered prematurity and fortunately lived without too severe effects of the event. There was no kudos to me, only to my daughter who had the guts to live. Some kudos to the doctors and nurses who managed not to make too many mistakes in ensuring that she came home after 8+ weeks looking like a pregnant tadpole with burn scars on her chest from the heat monitors that were not moved in time before they burnt into her flesh. She also had slight deafness from the oxygen.

I was born at 29 or 30 weeks at just over 4 pounds in communist Romania. From what I’ve been told I’ve spent about a week and a half in an incubator and was only released home at around 4 weeks after I weighted 2.5kg/ 5.5 pounds. I don’t remember having other side effects or complication compared to my other 3 siblings. I do remember getting b12 shots every 3-4 weeks in between age 6-8, and I still I don’t know the reasoning behind that.

My ex was born in the '50s and only weighed a pound. I am not sure he even had an incubator. THey talked about keeping him wrapped in foil to help maintain his body temp. He grew to be sx foot five and played viola in an orchestra as well as studied philosophy

Wow. My son was born a preemie in 1980, and only had a 50-50 chance of survival.

I guess you could cal me a postie: I was born a month late, and was still underweight (5 lb 7 oz). My mother smoked like a chimney and drank like a fish, which probably explains a lot of it.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:35207
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.