Agnostic.com

4 1

I have a what if....

What if the definition of the word god meant to create? Early humans created weapons, clothing, shelter, and fire. Creativity separated humans from the animals. As humans evolved their creativity led them to clear land for farming, and gathering animals on ranches and marketplaces. I think you can get where I'm going with this.

You create something that is beneficial to yourself and other then you are the god of that creation.

Maybe religion was born out of the question...Who created the earth and all life on it? Every religion has a name/s for their god/s, so maybe the word god is descriptive and not an entity.

Any thoughts?

Betty 8 Nov 12

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

4 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Of course it will depend on who you ask. I grew up with the notion that god was all knowing and that we were created in god's image. So, everything that we made, actually god made through us. I used to kid about the umbrella god made or perhaps the trash. All the bad things we as humans can produce and/or make. It turns out to be a vicious cycle. God is whatever you want her/him/they to be.

I had the same teaching. In the story of Adam and Eve, they gained the knowledge of gods and had to be cast out. They knew nothing of creativity in the garden.

I'd have to say that the vast majority of believers believe that their god is an entity. They speak of it as an entity, their books refer to it as an entity. They talk to it as an entity, they believe they have a personal relationship with it.

That explains the evolution of it but what about the beginning. Is it possible that early humans theorized a creator, gave them a name and describe them as a god?

I think that ancient people's imaginings of gods were even more anthropomorphic than they are today. They wondered where the sun went at night, and they imagined a human looking god on a chariot. Their gods had wives and sisters and squabbles. They were more fleshed out characters than today's Christian god.

I think you're right that they didn't know how the world worked, so they assumed agency in some way. How did that seed turn into a plant? Seems like magic! Someone or something must be responsible.

Neat! This resonates a bit, depending on how you look at it, with Walsh's "Conversations with God", deemed extremely heretical by the churches near me.

Zster Level 8 Nov 12, 2017

According to early hermetic writings , the early concept of god was "all". Many ancient spiritual philosophies espoused this notion that was are all one, we are all connected, and even modern quantum physics seems to be bearing this out. (as in the book "The Divine Matrix", by Gregg Braden). However, it is certainly a "god-like" quality to be able to create, and even in Christian dogma, Jesus said that we are gods with the ability to do what he was doing. I remember in one sunday school class it was pointed out that the angels and demon were jealous of our ability to create things, as this seemed to be an ability they lacked. I have no documentation for that last bit, merely remembering something i was told, but those are my thoughts

Are we not "all" to our creations even when we create as a team?

Very possibly, betpaq, i was not refuting your "what if...", just adding my 2-cents to the mix. I'm not sure if the inanimate object I create would consider me "all" or "god" or "God". I would like to have a word with the production team that uploaded this scenario we are living through now...

@betpaq I'm a lot more than the sum of my creations, at least I hope so. Is helping someone considered a 'creation'?

@Edward59 It's a "what if" so maybe helping can be considered. If you have a partner or are part of a team it would work.

@betpaq if we all are truly one and interconnected, then any individual effort or creation would still be a team effort

@Heretic1965 Maybe it is. There is so much we do not know about the world, the universe, and our own brains that when something is discovered to answer a question many more question arise. We may be connected in ways we have yet to understand.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:3521
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.