Agnostic.com

4 2

LINK This Memorial Day, Let's Learn From Our Mistakes and End Illegal War

"Those of us who have realized the truth of war’s futility and waste, however, and have rejected the mythology of necessity and purpose, will not support the continued exploitation and commercialization of the memory of those sacrificed in war and the suffering of their families to enhance consumerism and profit. Nor will we cheer as millions of dollars of deadly aircraft deafen and electrify onlookers by feigning bombing runs that slaughter hundreds of thousands of innocent civilians. Nor will we march in parades, the intent of which is neither to educate nor inform about the realities of war, but rather to celebrate the mythology of the “honor” and “glory” of militarism and war in anticipation of a seemingly probable invasion of Venezuela and military confrontation with Iran.

Instead, we will acknowledge and grieve not only the loss of the U.S.’s most recent casualties, but the waste of all human lives in war, the first as well as the last, not with feigned expressions of patriotism, gratitude and appreciation, but by renewing our commitment to peace, to exposing the mythology by educating the public about the realities of war, to bringing our troops home immediately, and to adequately caring for them upon their return."

WilliamCharles 8 May 27

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

4 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Wars solves nothing. Wars should be illegal along with wars on cannabis. About 90% of wars are religious dominant countries. Even in the bible the condition for war are impossible to achieve. No other reason for war other than great profits for the wealthy. So greed is the worst reason and hell on earth cause in the world. The US war budget cut by 45% to be normal with the rest of the world's countries. That would surely make :America Great Again: more than anything else.

The entire history of humanity has been written in blood! We're a tribal species and it's led us to murder in disputes all over the world and throughout our time here. Think about the memorial statues you see...WARRIORS!

My father died in military service to this country...sometimes I think about the millions of other men/women/mothers/fathers/children....victimized by this instinct to kill/conquer.

When I think of this part of our nature...it's depressing. When I think of the GLORIOUS things we can do...art/music/charity/literature/architecture, etc....I think we MIGHT be worth saving...

As comic Colin Quinn once put it,

"We didn't evolve from the tribe that starved to death waiting for their turn at the dinner table."

We are Machiavellian right down to our DNA.

If you really want to honor and support the troops, living and dead, you work to end the permanent wars for oil, empire and profit. Anything else is just mythology and distraction from the real enemy, as Casey so well puts it. The reactionaries with their Support The Troops bumper stickers can shove it....

Hell yea, I'll drink to that. It's way past time for people to wake up and declare war on the real enemy, "The Military Industrial Complex". The sad thing is that it is no longer an issue. Couldn't tell you what victory in Afganastan even looks like because the sole purpose of the war is corprate profits. They are the only winners.

The US sure didn't help Iraq that much either.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:353133
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.