Agnostic.com

33 5

Does anyone else also make a point of readign books which have been banned at one time?

From time to time when looking for new books to read I'll search out books which were at one time banned for one reason or another. That most books were banned because they affront religion is kind of motivating to make a poitn of reading them.

Feel free to mention any (banned) books you might recommend.

• 31 votes
  • 27 votes
  • 10 votes
snytiger6 9 May 28

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

33 comments (26 - 33)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I only read what interests me. Usually non-fiction.

The only book I can remember being banned or an attempt was made to ban it was Lady Chatterley's Lover by D.H.Lawrence. I tried reading it but it was too boring. A book which should be banned is "Fifty Shades of Grey" for crimes against literature.

i got a third of the way thro 50 shades and could stand no more. The writing made me cringe

I read what I like -- don't care if they have been banned or not. I don't understand your phrase 'were once banned'. Books are still being banned by the religious and prejudiced.

Yes. A part of me makes a point to read banned books just to support the authors and to stick it to those religious groups that try to ban them.

I guess I never thought about it. On a similar note, some things should not be released. Like when wikileaks released how to put anthrax in a water supply.

I was swept up in the romance that was Henry Miller and Anais Nin when I was young. Lady Chatterley's lover. Lolita,Kama Sutra. And when I was feeling less romantic/ horny it was Brave New World and Animal farm 1984. I think those were all banned at some time

Henty Miller

Who bans books anyway, besides the Catholic church? I heard several years ago The DaVinci Code (the book suggests that Jesus had a wife and baby)was banned by somebody. That was probably the 1st entire book I ever read, and I was 60 years old then. I listen to audiobooks every day. Mostly non-fiction about Science, philosophy, and atheism.
One thing The DaVinci Code did was to get me incredibly interested in religion. I have spent 100s of hours reading, watching, and listening to books written by the Four Horsemen. I have watched hours on Youtube the religious vs god debates.debates. I read, listen, and watch a lot of science, particularly evolution, physics, chemistry. It's funny that reading one particular book can spark a huge change in your life.

Someone said eons ago to students “if a book has been banned then that is exactly the book you should read”

My paraphrase, probably said a lot more eloquently!

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:353404
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.