Agnostic.com

9 17

LINK Here are Evangelical Christianity’s 10 biggest gaslighting tactics

"Some stuff people tell you messes with your head if you buy into it. Maybe it’s self-contradictory. Maybe it doesn’t line up with what you know about yourself or the world around you. Maybe it makes you question the evidence of your own senses or your ability to think straight. Maybe it muddles your intuitions about right and wrong, making you ashamed of doing things that don’t actually harm anyone—or, conversely, prompting you to do things you would otherwise be ashamed of.

Perhaps at the hazy edge of your mind something seems a little off, but the idea comes from a person or community you admire and respect (and maybe need), so you nod along, pushing aside any misgivings—even parroting their words to yourself or other people. Then, hours or even years later, the trance shatters, and your mind clears and you think, wait, what?!—And you can’t believe you actually believed it."

WilliamCharles 8 May 29

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

9 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

The ability to believe without evidence is a puzzler. I can't do it. The ability to change one's mind in the absence of evidence ( that power of positivity crap) also does not work for me. I figured out that god was not going to help me before I was 10. I had a friend in my room trading Comic books when I heard the front door shut and realized my father was home. We were not allowed to have a friend in the house unless a parent was there. I told my friend to run. That there beating was stored in permanent memory. I continued to go to Episcopalian church for a while after leaving home because I loved the beauty of the building, the music, and the service. I was out of town by then so my parents did not know. Nice story. Wish it were true.

thanks for posting the article. it was very interesting!

I was a product of Christian upbringing. Well, the public school system in Puerto Rico was no good and the only viable alternative was a private, Catholic school which provided with better education. I could only speak English in that school since the nuns were all American. They did created a monster in me which I still battle occasionally.

What frustrates me is, which religious organization will be the ruler if things do not change soon. I understand that the religious right despises Catholics so as a Christian where do I go. The answer is simple. Do not buy into that religious bullshit because that is all it is.

I find it ironic that the biggest murder rates in the US are in the Bible Belt. Crime rates and I mean murder is a lot lower in the New England states.

I am lucky that I was able to move into Canada which happens to be a much bigger tolerant of the different denominations. I can now be a free thinker without fearing for my life, literally.

It saddens me to see my country decline into chaos thanks to the born-agains. Hope America does not end up in a 2nd civil war.

I went to Catholic grammar school as well. Our teachers actually were somewhat supportive of freethought.

The best reasons I found to become a Christian.

Suddenly I See the Light.

April 30, 2018
Written by SUBMISSIVEWIFE
I told myself I’d get one more post in for April, so here is a list of 10 reasons why I deserve a serious discipline session. I’ve been sick, but now that I’m better, I’m certain a sound spanking is about to come my way.

I need direction. We have many serious questions to answer in the coming month. I need to be focused.
I’ve been moody, grumpy, and impatient. My family should not suffer for my bad mood.
I’ve been disrespectful to my husband. Snide comments do not make a submissive wife.
Consistency is key. I need regular reminders of why we’ve chosen a CDD lifestyle.
It’s time. My husband has been patient and considerate of my health. I’m better now.
By consenting to a spanking, I’m giving my husband control. Enough said.
I’m too prideful. A crop to my bottom reminds me that humility is necessary for submission.
This is a journey. I haven’t become fully submissive, not even close.
He deserves respect and honor. He is to lead our house, but I am responsible for supporting him. When I fail to do that, I am failing him.
God wants us to have a successful marriage. I believe that CDD will help us reach that point and be closer to God.

Spiritual Sounding Board

This is one of the most twisted posts on BDSM ever...wow...

I had read thst before. The adding of a subservient role by the woman as both a religious and sexual practice.

You, babes are nuts. Never submit. Never. It's a soul killer. You will be ashamed of doing it. If you are into that brand of christianity why are you even posting on this site ?

I live in the Bible Belt and it's incredibly disturbing how much in common the Evangelical ,anti-abortion men and women in the deep southern states are to the White supremacists. If you follow the teachings of the Southern Baptist evangelicals, you basically will create a dream come true for the skinheads. It was often hard for me to understand how a female governor could sign the most restrictive anti-abortion law ever seen. It was also difficult to see so many women being violently against feminism .When you take into consideration the white supremacy that's behind it,you start to understand why. it's all done under the sweetness and sunshine of loving our Lord, and fulfilling our Lord's plan of having a loving stable family ( women submitting to their husbands and producing white babies at God's will)

[agnostic.com]

If you read the most recent resolutions of the Southern Baptist Convention you’ll see that they in no way support or allow racism in any form.

[sbc.net]

@WilliamFleming I'll believe it when I see it with my own eyes. I don't give a s*** what they write. The Bible Belt deep southern states do not deserve the benefit of the doubt

@Kojaksmom I don’t see how you can discount resolutions made in their convention. Southern Baptists are extremely democratic, meaning that the opinions of the delegates are closely aligned with the opinions of the church members. Of course the resolutions were not approved by all delegates—just a majority. Still, don’t you see that as good news?

Even if some of them do lean toward white supremacy, I don’t think you help matters by stereotyping and demonizing the group as a whole.

“Darkness cannot drive out darkness, only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.”

—Martin Luther King, Jr.

@WilliamFleming it's what I see from the evangelicals, I've never met a decent one that doesn't want to spread their religion and push their ideas on everybody.

@Kojaksmom That’s what evangelicals do—they spread the word. That’s what the term means.

That’s a long way from being a White Supremacist, wouldn’t you say? We are talking here about some of my friends and family members. It’s news to me about their being White Supremacists. I’ll have to ask them about that.

@WilliamFleming I agree that we should not despise the entire group, just because some of them are bad. Having said that, I really detest some things about fundamentalist religion, especially the suppression of doubt and questioning and the belief that women should be submissive to men.

@WilliamFleming perhaps you need to re-read my initial post. That's how I look at it, that's what I see. Obedient women who are rampant breeders is exactly what the white supremacists pushed as well. Most of the Evangelical women are anti feminists .the only Power they have is making and raising babies. The women who are white supremacist say the exact same thing .they're the breeders of the white race, and for that they are very proud. Southern Baptists are the worst. the very rural areas of the Deep South are incredibly racist, sexist uneducated, conservative, extremely religious.

@Kojaksmom “Southern Baptists are the worst.” And yet they send delegates to their convention who pass liberal resolutions.

Do what you want, but I don’t like making absolutist stereotypical judgments about any group. How is that better or different than racism?

@Kojaksmom, @MST3K I agree on the suppression of doubt and questioning.

I’m thinking about the other part. My observation is that women tend to dominate.

@MST3K my parents retired in the mountains of North Carolina. You would be amazed the number of Voters that vote Republican just because of the anti-choice issue. It's not about babies, it's about taking control of the women and making sure they breed.

@WilliamFleming dominate what?

@WilliamFleming I was saying Southern Baptists are the least Progressive.

@Kojaksmom Men.

@WilliamFleming that is not the Gospel According to Evangelical Christians. Men are to be the main decision makers and women are to be Homemakers and breeders.

@WilliamFleming that phenomena of the believe that women rule perhaps is just the fact that women care. Evangelical males are told that the home and babies are for women . Males within the home are to be respected and should be made to feel like real men. This is accomplished by the female taking a backseat and cowering to her husband's wishes. The evangelicals teach this and so do the white supremacists.

@Kojaksmom “This is accomplished by the female taking a backseat and cowering to her husband's wishes.”

Maybe that has happened in your world but I’ve never seen it. I’ve heard of it.

When you throw out that “evangelical” word you might as well just say “Christian” because evangelism is pretty near universal among churches, even the Catholic Church. I once attended an evangelical church service where the topic of the male role in marriage was discussed. The male role was said to be that of walking ahead and bearing the brunt of life’s difficulties by defending and providing for the family. Personal dominance is not prescribed for either partner.

@WilliamFleming
Well I'm happy that you're happy with your religion. Being conservative Christian is not really a crime in my book, but I believe it has Sinister roots

@Kojaksmom I thought I answered this yesterday. I am not a Christian Conservative in any shape, form or fashion. I was attending a service at the request of a daughter, but I left the Baptists 57 years ago. Though not a member, I don’t like seeing prejudice and hatred directed toward any group, especially under the guise of liberalism. It’s no better than racism. I live in the Deep South while you are in Appalachia. Maybe things are different there. After all, the South is a huge region with a third of the nation’s population.

Politically I lean toward Libertarianism, which is both liberal and conservative.

@WilliamFleming it is far from hatred I'm simply stating a fact that I see. The worst thing that people could do when faced with,say for instance, the radical anti-abortion laws, is just sit quietly and do nothing. I'm under the impression that you agree with the anti-abortion law, I'm under the impression that you agree with the indoctrination of children into religion, I'm under the impression that you don't support separation of church and state. I in no way am spreading hatred any more than anybody else on this form agnostics is. I was just pointing out the similarity between the Christians and the white supremacists. They have a lot more in common than what most people think

@Kojaksmom I have the feeling you are trying to push my buttons. I am not in favor of any of those things and I will not discuss it further.

Gervais sums the absurdity of religion very well in the video at the end of the article.

All true. Isn't it so wonderful that your religion becomes a "relationship." What this means is you can lie and tell your friends how much you talk to invisible Jesus and invisible god and how much they talk back. I know a man who says he talks to Jesus this way every day and "Jesus talks back." The thing is, I would not want such a person in positions of power. You never know what his Jesus might tell him. If this was not your religion you would be locked up somewhere.

Why just evangelical? Those same ten items are also present in the other Christian churches as well.

Because fundamentalist Christians are the most extreme examples of the absurdity of many Christian teachings. And often,their beliefs are the most bereft of the most rudimentary reason and logic (e.g., God loves you and is merciful, but he will punish you eternally and most cruelly solely for not believing in him.)

@MST3K I’m not so sure that evangelicalism and fundamentalism are the same thing, though some groups are both.

Also, I think Catholics and Anglicans are just as irrational. False is false. Are there degrees of falsity?

@irascible All I see is that fundamentalists are just like everyone else. If you know of some murderous Christian groups I’d like to learn just who they are.

You need to find a different label for your murderous Christian groups. The world “fundamentalist” is already taken, and is used by numerous religious groups around the world, all proudly a part of the fundamentalist movement.

[en.m.wikipedia.org]

@irascible Some fundamentalist Christians really do have some very bad ideas. They share the same sort of irrationality and discourage or prohibit doubt and questioning.

Very true. That's pretty much what I went through in the process of becoming an atheist. Was an agnostic for a while but then I reached certainty that there were no gods.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:353661
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.