Agnostic.com

7 6

Sewing a new dress cost $12. Happy days!

Last month, this fabric caught my eye. Today armed with the dress pattern, I went to Joann Fabric. They had a little bit of the fabric left, on sale for 40% off.

I got enough to make this dress. It's a soft, lightweight, stretchy material. Perfect for summer.

My new dress will cost $12. You couldn't buy a dress for that much!

This will keep me busy while I am laid up with a broken toe. I can push the sewing machine pedal with my left foot instead.

LiterateHiker 9 May 29

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

7 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Not to discredit your story, but I know stores where you can buy new, mass-produced dresses for $12 or less. Not that they will be any good quality or last long though. heh

@demifeministgal

I tailor dresses and skirts to fit me perfectly. Makes a huge difference.

These are dresses I made.

@LiterateHiker Yes that is true. I imagine dresses or any outfit tailored to one's specific body figure would be better than generic store clothing. 🙂

But their finish is usually inferior to the ones made at home.

@Petter

Exactly.

@Petter Yes we have already come to that conclusion together

I hope it will fit you like the one in the middle, you look great on that, ...get in the Tumbas!

@Merseyman1

I have lost a few pounds in the past five weeks. Waist and butt are smaller. My boyfriend can't tell the difference.

I need exercise for a good appetite. Lose interest in food when unhappy. Can't hike. Can't run.

To stave off weight loss, I got ice cream to put into my morning coffee.

"Kathleen, putting a tablespoon of ice cream in your coffee won't help you gain weight!" my friend Amy said.

"Do what the rest of Americans do: eat the entire carton in one sitting."

@Merseyman1

What's a Tumbas?

@LiterateHiker , the percussion instrument by your side...

@Merseyman1

It's an oak conga drum.

Yes, that too!

@Merseyman1

The tumba (djembe) drum has a much higher sound than a conga drum. They are different instruments.

With conga drums, the sound is deeper, full and richer. As a musician, the high pitch of a djembe drum is unpleasant to my sensitive ears.

About The Drums

"Djembes are originally from the region of West Africa once known as the Great Mali Empire, which is now Mali, Guinea, Senegal and the surrounding areas. Most of my studies have been in Mali and Guinea. The drums are generally tuned very high (much higher than congas) because most of the time they are played at a faster tempo than congas. Djembes have a tight thin skin, which is easier to pull tighter. The thinner the skin, the tighter it can be pulled and the higher the pitch of the drum will be.

"The tighter the skin, the more rebound it has, which makes it easier to play fast. Unfortunately, you lose the deep full tone of a lower-tuned drum such as a conga or even bass djembe (a large low-tuned djembe). Djembes still have beautiful tones but they are higher and different. For one thing, there is more 'ring' in the tone.

"The Cubans used wooden barrels and tacked heads onto congas, later developing the hardware system that is almost the same to this day. Because of the mechanical tuning system and thicker skin, the tuning of congas can be much more precise, even resulting in the sound of actual musical notes. Congas are about melody and rhythm. They're not as snappy-sounding as djembes."

[x8drums.com]

Love the fabric. Very nice

nice fabric pattern...did you ever tie die your own? Hope the ankle heals well and quickly.

@shadowAmicus

I broke my right, fourth toe at the base where it attaches to the metatarsal bone. A diagonal fracture takes longer to heal.

Luckily, the break isn't all the way through. It's not floating.

@LiterateHiker that sounds like a 3 month heal? and long time painful toe

@ShadowAmicus

Glad you like the fabric. I do, too.

@ShadowAmicus

Who knows?

"An elderly man broke three toes in a row exactly like your fracture," my podiatrist said. "It's been six months, and his toes are still not healed. That's why I'm more careful with diagonal fractures like yours."

The podiatrist wants to see me in a month for more x-rays.

@LiterateHiker can only say - sad you are unable to hike now, but hope it heals well enough for you to get back up the mountains.
I know this is probably too personal - and does not need answering - but have you been checked for osteoporosis

@ShadowAmicus

This Friday, I have a bone density scan to check for osteoporosis. I'm at a higher risk: thin, Irish/English, small frame, and four fractures in 20 years. Fingers crossed.

The latest x-rays of my broken toe and foot:

FINDINGS:
There is a small oblique intra-articular fracture at the proximal medial base of the proximal phalanx of the fourth toe. It appears minimally displaced. Bone quality, soft tissue and joint spaces otherwise appear generally normal for age of patient."

Sent that to my boyfriend, a medical doctor.

Bill replied: "Actually sounds like a favorable reading, no mention of osteopenia or osteoporosis."

Twenty years ago, a bone density scan on my spine showed my bones were strong. I believe it was from weight-bearing exercise. Since age 21:

1. Hiked over 200 miles/year with 45,000 - 65,000 feet of elevation gain (and loss).

2. Backpacking with a 40 lb. pack.

3. Weightlifting

4. Running

@LiterateHiker A friend of mone (62) was diagnosed with osteoporosis a few weeks ago, which is why it is in my mind. Hope your bones are fine, but if not - I know there is a fairly new drug that has had excellent results in bone regrowth - 1 year course of treatment - apparently far more successful than older treatments.
Hope you are soon able to get back to the exercise - you have great back and shoulders to maintain in excellent condition.

@Wangobango3

Thanks.

@Wangobango3

Photos:

1. Age 57 in California.

2. I wanted to see my back muscles, age 63.

3. Age 60 at the YMCA.

Good will keep you busy

bobwjr Level 10 May 29, 2019

Love the colour and pattern , Looking forward to you modelling the finished product hope you are not getting much discomfort from your toe

@RoyMillar

Thank you.

Nice...make use of your time...you are not one to sit around!

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:353997
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.