Agnostic.com

7 8

Trail Etiquette Refresher

Young adults don't have a clue about trail etiquette. I gently tell them why to yield to uphill climbers.

"You're supposed to yield to uphill climbers. It's trail etiquette. Hikers going uphill are working harder."

[wenatcheeoutdoors.org]

LiterateHiker 9 June 1

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

7 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I find that few young people yield for me. Iā€™m 69. When one yields or holds a door for me I thank them profusely. I do have cred in the gym and admired for being so fit at my age. Just keep moving.

Karen and I love hikes where nobody else is on the trail. Apart from spectacular mountain views, we choose steep trails to get away from crowds.

Loud, braying men. Women chattering nonstop. People carrying boomboxes. NO.

I exalt in the sounds of nature:

Millions of Aspen tree leaves rattling softly in the wind. Woodpeckers drumming. Squirrels chattering. Chirping pikas. Rustling in the underbrush, approaching animals, etc.

youngsters only learn what they are taught

@ShadowAmicus

Trail etiquette is about respect for others and protecting the environment. It goes deeper than that.

Recently the National Park Service banned speakers in the fabled, extremely popular Enchantment Mountains of Washington State. Rude jackasses were blasting music, shattering the serenity of everyone within earshot.

What is wrong with people?

In the mountains, sound carries and echos off canyon walls.

"Hike quietly. Speak in low voices and turn your cell phone down, if not off. Enjoy the sounds of nature and let others do the same." (trail etiquette, American Hiking Association)

[americanhiking.org]

Thirty years ago, The Forest Service set up lottery system for overnight camping permits, to limit the number of people trampling and destroying the Enchantments.

Photos of The Enchantment Mountains, Washington State

[alamy.com]

@LiterateHiker I agree totally - i tend to walk hills in poorer weather when there are very few people around, but the animals are still feeding and if you are prepared to sit and wait quietly you will be accepted as part of the scenery - they will ignore you, so long as you ignore them (we have no top predators to worry about in the UK) I sit under the shelter of a screening bush with my binoculars and watch.

@LiterateHiker The enchantments look stunning - how high are the triangular rocks to the right nothing in the picture to scale.as trees could be 20 - 200 feet

They should learn simple etiquette

bobwjr Level 10 June 1, 2019

I whack them on the ankles with my walking stick...it's hard to walk uphill...my FitBit likened it to over 10,000 stairs on one of my hikes...Next time I will start on the uphill part and end on the downhill...I was exhausted!

Nice reminders!

A large percentage young adults have no clue about etiquette period.šŸ™„

@literatehiker thanks for the reminder. It seems like common sense, but as I told my son yesterday, "common sense isn't as common as one would hope."

Have you thought of putting together a group on hiking?

@cimoore34

For five years, I have been hiking with a small group of women. The group boiled down to 3-4 of the strongest hikers. We love to do steep hikes for the views.

In the winter, we keep going on snowshoes and microspikes.

@LiterateHiker Keep it up. Enjoy wilderness, nature and your life.

@jlynn37

I plan to continue hiking into my 90s. Since age 21, I have hiked over 200 miles per year.

That's me in the last photo. Don't know if you recognized me with sweaty hair and clothes.

@cimoore34 There is a group on hiking here on Agnostic if that is what you meant.

Actually there's at least two ... Hike, Climb, Paddle and Hikers' Connection

@vertrauen

Hikers' Connection is the first group I joined on Agnostic.com.

you have that right about the common sense ,You ladys are very fit to do those summit climbs ,good for you

@RoyMillar

Thank you.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:355119
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.