Agnostic.com

5 8

Extreme Abortion Bans Inspire Progressive Women to Run for Office

“Confederate monuments have more bodily autonomy than women in my state, and I am so big mad about that,” said Angela Mayfield of Georgia, who is is running to replace Republican state Rep. Micah Gravley, who supported the bill.

Kelly Rose is a first-time candidate originally from Los Angeles who now lives in Georgia. She’s challenging Republican state Sen. Brian Strickland after his vote in support of the state’s extreme “heartbeat” bill that Republican Gov. Brian Kemp signed into law last month.

Rose echoed what many women have said in the days since the bill passed: that abortion bans as strict as these are not about “protecting life” but about controlling women.

“To me, [current legislation] is using ‘abortion’ to elicit an emotional response … but what I see it as is women are getting stronger and it’s a way of eliciting control over them,” Rose said.

“It’s bully behavior, and I’ve never let a bully slide in my life.”

LiterateHiker 9 June 2

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

5 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I hope a lot of women run and get in and start doing positive changes

I sure hope so! Right now the country seems to be led by the sexist, racist, bible toting, confederacy supporting, forced birthers ,gun loving Jesus freaks that dwell in the mountain regions of the south.

'I am so big mad about that' - doesn't sound like she is the intellectual heavyweight needed to run parts of the country. But good luck to her good intentions

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaannnnnnnnnd cue incel nincompoopery.....

....now...!

Yay, a silver lining.

1of5 Level 8 June 2, 2019

I sure hope so!

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:355571
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.