Agnostic.com

15 6

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

15 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

meh, I've been acquainted with some right a-holes who were voracious readers.

Qualia Level 8 June 16, 2019

I guess being sociable and being nice are not the same thing.

But I knew that, I think. I hope.

Love to read!! But I'm still a bitch. 🙂

When the situation merits, I'm the queen bitch. But only when needed. I don't come out of the gate with bitch full on. My tendency is to be helpful and kind. Screw with me or anyone I consider my kid, mama bear comes out.

@HippieChick58 Yes, this is how I am also. Test my limits tho and I will call you out. "nice" girls are suppose to behave -hahahahaha

And since you are aware of that fact, then you must appreciate writers since we live in books constantly even though we are only writing them!

Those with the ability to read are fortunate , there are many with learning disabilities who have a hard time with it and I would not say they are less empathetic or cruel

I have books on the go at all times, the living room, the bedroom, the bathroom.....& been known to have one in my purse for waiting rooms.......

I spend hours in waiting rooms since I have an elderly and very frail husband so I always have a book to read on my phone and I take my knitting too.

@CeliaVL Yes, better than waiting room fodder.

Wow... I've read thousands of books. I'll try not to let it go to my head.

I have to agree with that, I usually have three books on the go at the same time. I wonder where people who don't read get their ideas and information from. The internet ?

They listen to Radio 4.

@CeliaVL Good choice. I often listen to it when driving.

I spent two years at a community college, and six at a university, as a 'non-traditional student'. On my last day at the community college, a new kid came up to me, and asked if I had any advice. I thought about it a moment. Then I told him "Yes! Don't read books! They're bad for your eyes!"

We also are near-sighted as heck!

Actually, mine is presbyopia. I didn't need glasses until after 40.

Voracious reader since childhood

bobwjr Level 10 June 8, 2019

I'd go along with that. I read five or six books a week, usually, but I am a very fast reader and I don't have enough to do. I think reading fiction does help people to understand others. I wish more men would read fiction, but most of them don't.

Since childhood, I have been a voracious reader. Reading teaches me about different countries, people, families, cultures and increases my understanding and compassion.

In my teens and 20s, I did what I called literature surveys, reading:

1. Black literature
  2. South American authors
  3. Great Russian literature
  4. Gay writers
  5. William Shakespeare, and more.

Reading increases my vocabulary, enriches my mind, makes me laugh, and thrills me when I read a beautifully-written passage.

I must be Evil, Awful and Uncaring. I devour very few books, because I prefer fact to fiction. On the other hand, I read many informative magazines and news sites.

I rarely read fiction. there are many other genres

@maturin1919 I do indeed. I even buy some - and eventually read them!

@Moravian ..... and how does categorise the bible?
I think of it as a history book written by Walter Mitty!

Yes we are..

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:358072
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.