Agnostic.com

52 4

How do you debunk it when someone claims religion, no matter it's true or false' serves as an important psychological support or placebo for some people?

NeMeS1S 4 June 8

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

52 comments (51 - 52)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I believe strongly that there is no gods, but do I know for sure there is no gods. I have no evidence that there Isn't a god just a much as they have no evidence that there is a god, so why should I try to persuade them that there beliefs are wrong.

You can't have, and therefore don't need, evidence for a negative.

@Gareth Wrong. You can have evidence for negative assertions. Negative assertions are as easily proven as positive assertions.

@WilliamFleming How rude. So, prove there are no unicorns.

@Gareth

[psychologytoday.com]

I didn’t mean it to be rude, but that thing about not being able to prove a negative is nothing but myth.

It is sometimes difficult or impossible to prove that something exists or does not exist with absolute certainty. Proof enough for me is that the unicorn is DEFINED in the dictionary as mythical.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:358133
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.